IGNORED

Common v8z problems?

HarrisonTX

So, Im pretty serious about buying a 280z, and crammin in a 302 chevy. Im about to buy a rollin chassis, but i got to thinking about how cramped it is.

What are some common problems that v8z's have?

Is it hard to change plugs, oil filter, and so on.

How bout exhaust, i was lookin under a 280, and theres hardly any room.

What should i expect?

It all depends on the way the engine is installed in the chassis. Location, Location, Location. There are several different methods to installing a V8 in a Z chassis.

There are a few guys here that may be able to advise you, but if you really want to do a V8 Z....................

Answers to ALL of your questions are available at www.hybridz.org These guys have seen and done it all.

Hi Harrison, I am having a V8 in my 1971 240. What looks and sounds easy can actually require a lot of thought and planning, like the exhaust that you have picked up already - will the headers fit ? Who will make the pipes ? Where will they be routed ? How much will they cost ?

If you want one either side on a 240 you need to move the fuel tank, install a fuel cell. In my case this means moving the spare wheel well to the centre of the car, not a small feat.

There are many huge benefits to a V8 conversion such as power, sound etc but also many downsides such as the loss of standard form in a classic car.

As many people will try to burn you for heresy as will praise you for daring to do it - people get very protective and the whole engine transplant subject can be very emotive.

Don't let anyone tell you it destroys the car's handling - it will only do that if assembled by a blind muppet with a spoon and some chewing gum, if done properly by an engineer the car's balance will be virtually identical to the original. Because I am going to use an LS6 engine the weight is about the same too give or take (but with world class race suspension, brakes and close to 500BHP)

May I suggest you check out the following in addition to hybridZ listed above, they will all give you LOTS of food for thought. To shoehorn a V8 in is cheap and cheerful and you will have massive bang for your buck - to do it properly costs - you will get what you pay for here. Anyway, Good luck, have a GREAT Christmas and I hope you find the following sites of interest :

www.hybridz.org

www.mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska

www.jagsthatrun.com

www.johnscars.com

Both JTR (Jags that Run) and John's Cars provide mounting kits for V8s but also sell conversion manuals, I think the JTR one is about $30 and the John's Cars one is about $25 - money WELL spent as background reading. You really don't want to get half way through then find out you cannot afford to finish or you do not have the required skills etc etc etc.

My concerns were financial as an engineer is building mine for me, this kind of background helped me map out what I would need and how much it would cost - after that I put a build plan together with rough dates and financial requirements. I know know at what point various bits will be completed and when the seemingly never ending flow of money needs more injections.

It is advisable on hybridZ to read, listen, use the search facility BEFORE asking any questions you may have. People are incredibly helpful but obviously like to see people trying to help themselves

Cheers

Andy :bandit:

You are right BradMan - the SBC looks like it was designed to be there from the word go (we know it wasn't but hey it's fits really well !)

I agree with you about the headers, particularly with the LS6 style engines but you end up with a much better handling car with the engine in the setback position - only important I guess if you are going to go round bends a lot at high speed. If you intend to do long distance cruising it is pretty academic. Here in the UK we have thousands of miles of leafy lanes to play along in the summer so the handling was paramount to me, opted for cannister race suspension and AP brakes to help out.

You would REALLY notice the difference on the track.

Hi Harrison, I am having a V8 in my 1971 240. What looks and sounds easy can actually require a lot of thought and planning, like the exhaust that you have picked up already - will the headers fit ? Who will make the pipes ? Where will they be routed ? How much will they cost ?

If you want one either side on a 240 you need to move the fuel tank, install a fuel cell. In my case this means moving the spare wheel well to the centre of the car, not a small feat.

There are many huge benefits to a V8 conversion such as power, sound etc but also many downsides such as the loss of standard form in a classic car.

As many people will try to burn you for heresy as will praise you for daring to do it - people get very protective and the whole engine transplant subject can be very emotive.

Don't let anyone tell you it destroys the car's handling - it will only do that if assembled by a blind muppet with a spoon and some chewing gum, if done properly by an engineer the car's balance will be virtually identical to the original. Because I am going to use an LS6 engine the weight is about the same too give or take (but with world class race suspension, brakes and close to 500BHP)

May I suggest you check out the following in addition to hybridZ listed above, they will all give you LOTS of food for thought. To shoehorn a V8 in is cheap and cheerful and you will have massive bang for your buck - to do it properly costs - you will get what you pay for here. Anyway, Good luck, have a GREAT Christmas and I hope you find the following sites of interest :

www.hybridz.org

www.mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska

www.jagsthatrun.com

www.johnscars.com

Both JTR (Jags that Run) and John's Cars provide mounting kits for V8s but also sell conversion manuals, I think the JTR one is about $30 and the John's Cars one is about $25 - money WELL spent as background reading. You really don't want to get half way through then find out you cannot afford to finish or you do not have the required skills etc etc etc.

My concerns were financial as an engineer is building mine for me, this kind of background helped me map out what I would need and how much it would cost - after that I put a build plan together with rough dates and financial requirements. I know know at what point various bits will be completed and when the seemingly never ending flow of money needs more injections.

It is advisable on hybridZ to read, listen, use the search facility BEFORE asking any questions you may have. People are incredibly helpful but obviously like to see people trying to help themselves

Cheers

Andy :bandit:

Andy if all responses were as well thought and constructed as yours this place would be even better. :D

Thanks for the compliment Gav ! Was merely trying to be helpful.

A V8 conversion can be a cheap dirty job or a very expensive, detailed engineering project, did not want Harrison to underestimate what could happen.

I am learning a huge amount from other far more experienced people on forums (you know who you are Alan et al) so am simply recycling and trying to add a little value back.

• 2 weeks later...

i can get a hold of a workshop manual for putting chevy's into zeds from PITSTOP bookshop in King St, Perth, West Australia.

it even has the diagrams, dimensions, and stencils for the engine mounts inside.

covers EVERYTHING to do with a V8 conversion. if you wire me the money i'll buy it and send it to you.

I have a 81 280zx with a v8 in it. yes it is a nice snug fit but do able. I can get to all the spark plus with out busting my knuckles to bad. I am not sure about the oil change yet have only had the car one week. Started working on the inside first. Someone really trashed that part of it.

I also still have to do a few things to the motor area, like add a fan and redo exhuast. SO I will pull the motor and detail it before it goes back in.

I have pictures from under the hood if you would like to see. :classic:

Pearl