IGNORED

Clear Hatch Glass

26th-Z

Hello!! Christopher,

just jumping in shortly,the two HLS30 which for the test drive in late 1969 they have got heated rear glass.A video tape which I have got from test a crew OSAWA-san showes the cars have heated glass and they were working in the snow-cold morning in Canada.

I am still away from this forum but I will post a photo of the heated glass of the test car.

Merry Christmas,I am fine !!

kats

Hello Kats!

Great to here from you! Great news about the test drive cars. Wow! You have better photographs - I know! My best wishes to you and your family, my friend.

If Sarasota was not so close to the tropics, it would be snowing this morning. Quite cool and raining lightily. The palm trees glisten in the mist and one can only imagine. We decorate palm trees down here!

This has nothing really to do with S30 HRW but, Chris you may be able to confirm this being located in the tropics. A friend of mine had purchased a mundane Dodge Neon 2 door coupe about eight years ago and since he was in Pensacola the vehicle was equipped without a(n) HRW. Apparently this practice continues.

With luck, I am going to come up with the service bulletin that advises dealers to install the heater elements with an adhesive kit. With more luck, I'm going to come up with the part number for the adhesive kit. The research monster is on a winter quest. There could very well be a correlation between the HLS30U and the HLS30UN, Bob. I was told the other day that 85% of 240Z sales were in the Sourthern part of the country. No confirmation of that.

But, I will confirm that my cars do not have the extended air cleaner horn with air door or the pre-heater hose. I'll get you some pictures. They just have an open air horn.

Hi Mike,

mine is a 12/71 and it is between the series II and III by the fact it has the new console, the reclining seats, the retractable seat belts pocket but not the mechanism and the vertical wire in the hatch glass. My VIN is HLS30 58865. I also have the black interior with a silver 901. The silver '72 were supposed to come with the burgundy interior. I have taken a close look at all the interior part and I see no signs of interior swapping of any kind (like trace of glue or anything else...)

It turns out that the Technical Service Bulletins of that era were published in book form and include the full line of Datsun models. Searching for the one particular situation is rather complex and tedious. I did find this, and although it doesn't answer our particular discussion, it does offer some informative insight. Of course, I apologized for the quality of the copy. Only the best for you guys! I'm still working on more information.

This is Service Bulletin TS72-29, Aprill 11, 1972, pertaining to HLS30 models. It outlines the installation of horizontal wired glass, but note the yellow highlighted sentences indicating that wiring for the heated glass is not in the harness for serial numbers below 1456. I will consult the Asian Twins and report back.

post-4148-14150794665264_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150794665635_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150794665882_thumb.jpg

This has nothing really to do with S30 HRW but, Chris you may be able to confirm this being located in the tropics. A friend of mine had purchased a mundane Dodge Neon 2 door coupe about eight years ago and since he was in Pensacola the vehicle was equipped without a(n) HRW. Apparently this practice continues.

I don't think that there is any corelation here. My cousin ,in buffalo, NY, has a 96 or 97 neon that is completely stripped down. No A/C didn't originally have a radio, and his car doesn't have a HRW either. I think nowadays it's just a matter of trim levels and options. also every car I've ever bought in SC has had the HRW, even my 86 MR2 where the rear window was like 3 inches from my head!

Nate

Okay guys... taken off of page 196 chapter 11- Technical Bulletins, Hi-Lights & Recalls - in "How to Restore Your Datsun Z-car" by Wick Humble...

"Defroster-Wire Alignment Changed; Dated 4-11-1972

Beginning with number HLS30-062001, the rear-window-defroster wires run horizontally rather than vertically. There is no provision for the defroster circuit defroster wiring harness in 240Zs previous to HLS30-01456.

Datsun recommended their accessory relay, part number 25230-E4100, be used with the stock switch, part number 25350-E8200. A 20-amp inline fuse holder and 10- and 18-gauge are required. The previous hatch-glass part number is 90301-E4101; the new glass number is 90301-E8800. "

Does that help any.

The '72 that I'm waiting to have shipped to me has the Vertical lines.

Nate