IGNORED

27th z!!!

zhead240

Chris,

If I didn't have a time crunch for the '72, I'd pack up the TIG, the Plasma Cutter, and head your way for the weekend! Maybe I'll just have to settle for sending you something else-sounds like you already have most of the special sheet metal, I have a few parts car that can be donors if you need other sections-10min with the plasma cutter...

Will

Good to hear that you finally got her. Keep us updated on her progress every now and again. I'm sure that there are plenty of us that would be willing to donate something to help bring her back to life. :D

Wow! Thanks for all the praise and support.

Mike, I think that's one of the reasons he sold the car - because it was not making sense any more! The only thin reason that makes this have any sense to me is that I have a great deal of the missing pieces.

Will, I just may take you up on an all expenses paid weekend in beautiful Sarasota some time. No hurry. I'm going to finish 26 first. It sounds like you have some good experience and that we would have a good time. The metal cutting and welding work is one of the things I have to "sub" out. I can grind with the best of them, though!

Alex, for what I have in mind, I budgeted $25,000 for 26. That includes a completely stripped body, engine rebuild and new interior working with a fairly complete car in fairly decent shape to begin with. I will do the vast majority of the work myself. 26 was seriously tired and she came completely apart only because the body shell was going to go into self-destruct mode if I didn't do something about it. 27, on the other hand, is a resurrect from one foot in the grave example and I suspect I will spend $40,000 to get her looking nice again. That's probably low, but keep in mind that I am discounting my time to zero value. If I paid someone to do all this, it would cost me a fortune. I am also fortunate to be in an area of the country that seems to be "restoration heaven". Lot of retirees down here with car collections. Good services are close by and readily available.

I forgot to confirm that 27 is matching numbers. She has a 10 / 69 stamped build date. I didn't write it down - the engine number is L24-2162? The seat belts are dated 9 / 69 and (bummer) only one wheel is stamped 10 /69.

Now that you bring up Cannonballing,

I ran into Rick Cline at Sebring a couple of weekends ago. I didn't recognize him until he started talking. He didn't recognize me either. He still has both his champoinship Spitfires.

Guess we all have changed a lot since the mid 70's.

Reminds me of a joke I saw recently:

While waiting for my first appointment in the reception room of a new dentist, I noticed his certificate, which bore his full name. Suddenly, I remembered that a tall, handsome boy with the same name had been in my high school class some 30 years ago. Upon seeing him, however, I quickly discarded any such thought. This balding, gray-haired man with the deeply lined face was way too old to have been my classmate. After he had examined my teeth, I asked him if he had attended the local high school. "Yes," he replied. "When did you graduate?" I asked. He answered, "In 1971. Why?"

"You were in my class!" I exclaimed.

He looked at me closely and then asked, "What did you teach?"

How long will the restoration of 27th Z take and I sure wish I knew of a good restoration guy especially someone to do my frame rails and floor pans on the east coast of Florida !!! I know I would like to see pictures of 27th Z in progress!!!!

Enjoy the restoration and then the ride !!!!!