IGNORED

77 280Z color wiring diagram

wal280z

Yes, I've seen that one, too. Since I didn't have a 280Z to tear into, I didn't mention it, though. I was trying to help someone on facebook with replacing the ignition relay. Some day I'll have to post how to use a DPDT relay to use as a substitute.

On the other hand, I think SMP has a replacement ignition relay...I'll see if I can find the part number.

Edited by SteveJ

Haha! So what else do you have that you're keeping all to yourself? LOL

Thanks for the info on relay options. Could come in handy in the future, but thankfully there's nothing wrong with my relay at this time. The car works fine... The diagram doesn't. :)

I've got some projects planned for the future, but at this point it's just wishful thinking and exploration.

Haha! So what else do you have that you're keeping all to yourself? LOL

I can't tell you. ;)

I have to review wiring drawings frequently for my job. You get used to finding mistakes like that. What bugs me is when I issue drawings to a customer and find more drawing mistakes. D'Oh!

Threads merged for clarity.

PM sent to wal280z for diagram update.

Thanks for the merge E. I was trying to decide if I should have started a new thread for the ignition relay issue or if I should just add on to this one, and I decided that I would start a new thread because ignition relay issue pertained to all the diagrams from 75-78, not just the color 77 version. I wasn't sure that someone looking for 75 info, for example, would pay that much attention to a thread that seems to be mostly 77-centric. It was 51-49 to me...

However, I was also going to put a note in this thread as well when I got the chance, because I turned up a new issue with the color dwg. Simple oversight due to blurry dog-eared original hardcopy. There is a mis-numbering of one of the fuel injection relay connections:

colorfixesH.jpg

And some minor formatting slips as well.

I love that color diagram... :love:

• Thanks 1

I can't tell you. ;)

Haha!! Somehow I just knew you were gonna say that!! :laugh:

I didn't spend hours and hours on the ignition relay issue. It was clear that it wouldn't work right as shown, and since there was a blank terminal and another sharing two wires, it was pretty easy to figure out what happened at the drafting board. Most surprising to me is that Datsun never caught it even after four years.

Also, a peeve I've got is them calling it an "Ignition Relay", when it really has nothing to do with the ignition system at all. It would be more properly called the "Ignition Switch Relay" or "Ignition Switch Position Relay", or something like that...

On another note, I do have a 24" Wide Ink Jet printer available to me to print off a roll. I also have a 36"W which needs a bit of work to be operational, but if people are interested I could investigate the cost of printing these larger size files.

E

I guess I wouldn't change the title of this thread. Wayne's color diagram is for the 77, but all the 280 years are pretty similar.

I'm not sure what do you mean about not being able to find files for the other years? If you're talking about color wiring diagrams, then I've seen two of them... The 77 that is the main topic of this thread, and another one for 78 that is nice, but not as complete as the one for 77.

Other than 77 and 78, I've not seen anything color. For 75 and 76 I refer back to the standard version in the FSM.

Captain - Thank you for the detailed reply and instructions on how to fix these - it saves those people that have already printed this thing just to use some white out on their diagram and go on.

I will wait until the first of next week before re-publishing, if that is OK with everyone. Gives an oppurtunity for others to chime in.

I appreciate the attention to detail you seek, are you sure you aren't my long lost brother from another mother? Either that, or you must be one of my multiple personalities that has escaped and has established himself in PA now. LOL