IGNORED

For Interest Only (Toyota 2000GT)

Alfadog

Here is a currect article from AutoSpeed, on the 2000GT-even mentions the 240Z in the first sentance! I have enjoyed a subscription to AutoSpeed for just over 2 years, and found some valuable and cost effective tidbits to work into some of my Zs.

Kind of a general interest article-with the taboo references of the involvement of Albert Goertz in the Z and virtually everything else in the time period, but...

http://www.autospeed.com/A_2113/cms/article.html

Will

• 2 years later...

I had the pleasure of touring the Toyota Museum last month. It was a gas seeing 3 at once!

Victor,

That is very cool! When I was out in L.A. back in March I drove to the front gate at Toyota HQ in Torrance and instead of being let in to see the museum (not open to the general public) I struck up a conversation with the security guard who stated that even he has not been to see the musuem!

One of these days I will have to make it out West with T.O.R.C. (Toyota Owner's and Restorers Club) preferably with the old '72 Celica. Only three semesters left and hopefully a move to SoCal!

BTW, the Toyota 2000GT was once described as being just about as small as a Lotus Elan (even at stock ride height). As for values of these wonderful cars there is one for sale in Hemmings at something approaching $300,000 USD with only 10k original miles on it. You can search it at:

http://www.hemmings.com

Old thread, good to see it alive. The pics of the 240Z next to the 2000GT are awesome, from the back it's hard to imagine a roof line so low to the ground (although obviously that's not a stock 2000GT).

To each their own, but I always thought the 2000GT was a stunning design - in some ways it outshines my E-Type coupe, I would love to own one of those!!!

The 2000GT is a great little car. From what I understand, the convertable used in the James Bond movie, was specially created for the movie. I guess that Sean Connery was too tall for the car otherwise, so they cut the top off!

There was recently an article in Classic Motorsports about the racing history of the 2000GT. Its a pretty short article, but still a great read.

Mike

I might be in the minority here, but the James Bond convertible 2000GT is a dog compared to the coupe.

Keep in mind, I am biased - I like the E-Type as a coupe, mid-year Corvette coupes, Ferrari Daytona coupes....blah blah - you get the idea.

There was something awesome and mildly maturing in the 60's with respect to autos, amongst other things (music for example)...the 2000GT had such nice curves that lopping off the top almost seems sacreligious.

There's an outfit in Massachusetts that is an authority on these cars. In fact, I believe they had one for sale a year or so ago for just short of $200K (in perfect condition).

I'd kill for that one...

The 2000GT is a great little car. From what I understand, the convertable used in the James Bond movie, was specially created for the movie. I guess that Sean Connery was too tall for the car otherwise, so they cut the top off!

There was recently an article in Classic Motorsports about the racing history of the 2000GT. Its a pretty short article, but still a great read.

Mike

The movie was "You Only Live Twice". Two 2000GT convertibles were made for the movie. Sport Compact Car had an article about the 2000GT many years ago.