IGNORED

Keep Original Air Port Exhaust Manifold Or Who Cares

SledZ

Hello,

I have started to redo my engine and engine compartment. I have swapped out the original engine and working on another. I am planning on keeping the original 240 with the car (not sure why it does not match). I'd like to re use the manifold but to do that I need to take off and plug the air ports on the manifold. Is there any demand or reason to  keep that manifold intact and buy another one or just whack em off and not worry about it?

post-3522-0-59024700-1427226190_thumb.jppost-3522-0-85890700-1427226288_thumb.jp

Thanks for the tips on closeing them up! I am an original kind of guy and like to keep cars that way so was concerned about desacrating a manifold but in reality it's not a 1970 with a VIN of HLS00010 or something! Thanks!

I used a stick welder and filled the whole hole, then ground it flat.  after repainting its hardly noticable.  Those brass plugs diseazd did look pretty slick though, that would match the freeze plugs.  In my case the connectors were completely frozen/stripped so i started by grinding the area flat first: no regrets.

• 1 month later...

What's the trick to getting the Air Gallery tube off without messing it up too badly? I have to plate the one here, and the only two options I have are 1) try to remove it for the 3rd time without damaging it. or 2) zip it off and gun the bolts off, and then purchase an NOS one for the customer.

The only thing is, the NOS ones look to be a different plating than original, now. It's more silver/zinc than yellow/zinc.

Also, the last runner has one of the tubes slightly frayed, as in, it's chipping away at the very end. Do you guys think just cutting the tip of that one off (maybe 5-10mm) is going to affect anything terribly?

Trying to use what I have rather than purchase things all the time- Our dollar not doing too well and most of the good stuff is State-side!