IGNORED

Rack and pinion U-bolt clamp ? 71Z

timsz

I have the same question as Grannyknot. What was the original purpose of this clamp with the small rubber bumper?

This was attached to my original rack, but when I rebuilt it and reinstalled it, I left the clamp off and have not observed any negative effects of not having it on there.

I still have the clamp and so if this is critical and needs to be reinstalled, that would be good to know.

Thanks.

Mike.

The rubber bump is on top and rest next to the cross member. If or when you find out what the part does and it is on backwards it will not work. I know I installed it wrong on my first Z and had to switch it around.

If you ever put a heavy load on the rack to the point while turning without this part the rack will bind and jam the wheel. It was missing on my 72 and I was doing some drifting maneuver that locked the steering. I did the same move with the bracket I found in a junk yard and no problems (after I turned the bracket around), even when I pushed the car harder than the time it locked up. The bracket seems to keep the parts inside from twisting, if the shafts start to twist inside the rack the parts will jamb against the wall and the teeth can't rotate past each other.

Interesting. I just took pictures of my car and a par ts car. The 1/70 model is missing the clamp and the 1/72 model has it:

post-18366-14150826781064_thumb.jpg

I know the 1/70 car was raced, don't know if they had any problems with it though even if they did they might not have known the corrective action.

Edited by Mikes Z car

I thought it was installed as a safety precaution.

If the rack mounts wear and the rack can rotate downward during hard turning or car standing still which requires extra force to turn, you risk locking the steering when the uni-joint jams up against the cross member.

If it is installed to stop it twisting. Why do it for one direction only. Doesn't seem logical....

Don't know when they started installing it, or if there was a recall action for the early models???

Chas

Edited by EuroDat