IGNORED

Outer Hatch Weather Strip

Dave WM

Prob covered but wanted to get the latest opinions.

I have the 1 piece from MSA, got the permatex black. I understand that the rubber and metal should be cleaned, rubbing alcohol to get release agent off rubber and metal good and clean.

the plan is to apply thin stripe of Permatex to metal and flange of rubber, none in the groove. Let dry, then another thin strip to metal over now dry adhesive  and immediately stick down the flange. At least that the way the instruction detail how to use. This make a contact cement like bond.

I tried dry fitting and can see it will be hard to work around the hatch hinges. I really don't want to have to remove the hatch. I will make up some custom tools (flat nylon rod) to let me work the adhesive in, spread thin and when time to bond, to push the rubber into place.

I think it would be a lot easier if I were to install like the 3 piece set, less to mess with at any one time. I assume the 1 piece and 3 piece is the same just the one piece cut up?

Any other tips or warnings?

That sounds like a very thorough plan.  Agreed, working around the hinges is a major PITA but at least you have a good expectation as a result of your dry fit.  I've not seen the 1-piece item but I have seen the 3-piece - the upper portion has a tubular cross-section and the two side pieces are flat like a blade.  It is a strange factory design but that's what they did.  I suspect your 1-piece will be a better overall item.  Have patience and don't overlook a little liquid anti-anxiety potion if the going gets tense.

I used some of the permatex I got from MSA on the rubber parts that mount on the door from jam. I was unhappy with the way it stuck on near the window. I revmoved the old cheap glue with some goo gone, cleaned well both the rubber and the painted metal, then did like the direction say, spread thin layer, let dry 10 min for all solvent to evap, and then press firmly. Stuck great. this is slightly different than a permatex video I saw where a second application was use and the parts were quickly assembled. I like the dry method as it seem less likely to make a mess and I want the instant bond. That way I can work around and just use the tool to press it in firmly then not have to worry about it.

I realize the removing the hatch completely would make it MUCH easier to apply and do a good job. So what's the deal on removal? the FSM shows shims on the hinge that mounts to the car, so maybe just removing the screws that hold the hatch to the hinge would not upset the alignment? Looks also like I would need at least 3 people to do it safely 2 holding while one loosens.

I have seen cars with shims and without and I have seen cars with a shim on only one side. If you have shims take note on where they are...

Extra hands would definitely make it easier. I would not take the hinges off the car if I didn't have to. That is the adjustment point. Take the hatch off the hinges...

• Like 1