Everything posted by Shiin
-
Cool Gauges
I totally forgot that I'm one of the 8 to pre-order. It's been so long, I forgot all about them.
-
Hella H4s
There are a lot of companies that make the H4 conversion out there, but the problem is if you want to meet legal requirments. Companies such as autopal make headlight that meet european requirement as well as DOT. I have the autopal H4 conversion in and they go in fine using the stock components to the headlight assembly. I argee with using another bulb such as the Narva bulb. I have some laser white lights that I picked up at a local turners shop that are 60/55W and are slightly brighter then the 100/90W sealed beams. If you do choice a bulb that is higher then the 60/55W you will have to upgrade the wiring to the light to prevent electrical failure. This would require 2 automotive relays and a waterproof fuse w/case as well as heavier guage wire. keep in mind that the stock lights to the Zed is 7" or 178mm.
-
Buy a 240?
First of all welcome to the forum. Next you can choose may different z's, since most of the parts are interchangeable, you have a great deal of mods to choose from. In some ways people choose a 73 or younger in the US to avoid the hassel of smogging it. Check your local laws for smogging requirements. If you choose to use it on the street make sure it can pass smog, or there are ways around it, some illegal. The Z's can be up graded with almost any Z or ZX motor out there and still be smog legal. The flaw that the 73 240z has is the carbs. the Carbs(flat tops) seem to have more problem and are said to be power robbers. Most people switch thoughs over with 72 or younger cars(round tops). Goods and bads go with the car. I have a 73 and really don't no what all the fuss is with the carbs, but I'm no too picking since I'm in the process of a 280zx turbo motor swap. Hot engines are really up in arms. some people say go for a v8 swap, some say efi, others go turbo, use 70-72 carbs and do a build up of the motor, or stay stock. the choice is yours. V8 have alot of power potential and very simple but costly to install. however you will be offseting the weight distribution putting more wieght on the front. EFI is for a newer updated version and in my opinion is more consistant and also trouble some(only an opinion). Turbo is fun but power is made more or less after 3000rpms (if you're use to power spike from a turbo then you'll be fine, but some time the tail can get away from you) Using the 70-72(round top) carbs can have great benifits staying stock won't give you many differences in HP, but great for restorations. With the Z cars the options are almost endless because you can pick and choose parts from other Z cars that work great and use them with less effort and fairly easy modding. If you have a 73 240z use it. If you want a 280z motor it will easily fit and you can bore thoughs motors out to about 3.1 liters instead of 2.8. Honest opintion is to read up see what people view are with different set-up and find out how well they run. I though I was just doing to do a motor build up, but when I found out you can do so much or I freaked out. A lot of companies and online shops carry parts for Z and a lot of different set-up on a Z-car have been done. So now it's up to you to find what your into.
-
#0001 is it RHD or LHD
Actually per-productions are given a different VIN# not beginning with the correct number. For example the new 350Z located at Tracy Nissan has the VIN#1000177(I think, But im sure it ends with 10001XX) Per-production models are labeled with the last 6 of the VIN with a number higher then the one production. Also the long numers on a vin each stand for something like the begining VIN on a Nissan that goes "JN3BC" example of a maxima Lettering code:J= where it's made "Japan" N= Make "Nissan 3= year "2003" B+C= model type "GXE or GX" I a Nissan parts book it statest the first 1 in "10001XX" is the beginning of the production make. This might clear up why the 00001 will not be right hand drive
-
New 350z hit the road
And left it's mark. 350z's are shipping out to dealerships near you. I was lucky enough to sit along side a Nissan Mechanic when he when he took the car for a test drive and a gas fill. Needless to say the car runs as great as it looks. The model in question was a 350z performance model with 287hp with 274 lbs feet of torque and Silver
-
gas tanks
I know a guy that's got a 76 280z tank on a 240z and one of the things he had to do was get bigger straps to hold the tank up, so I'm pretty sure it will work with minor moding.
-
Push Button Ignition?
As for me I too plan to use a on/off toggle witch that doesn't lock into one position to another, but a momentary toggle for safety reasons. I was also plan on using an aircraft switch cover. Does anyone know where I could pick one up at or do I have to order it from painless wiring. This is what the switch looks like:
-
Push Button Ignition?
Are you planning to connect it from the back of the ingnition switch or jump it right from the battery. I with I could remember what guy I talked to because he told me what wires to splice into to. Is the ingnition switch bad like you can't turn the key when in the ignition or it won't start when you turn pass the ON position on the switch. That would make a difference in using a key to arm it or do you want to run a constant power. I may be able to help located which wires to splice into because I plan to do the same thing.
-
update on speed hut indiglo gauges
Finally pre-ordered mine. Was just waiting for them to post the Z on there site. I forgot to check there site in the past weeks. My brothers guages took like 4-5 month from pre-order to delivery to get his guages.
-
electrical relay? '73 Z
The only thing that I have seen different on a wiring diagram for a 73 240z and a generic 240z wiring diagram is the INT' RELAY pictured in the diagrams. I don't know if that is your problem. it would help if you had a picture of it or you know the color of the wires that go into it so you can trace back the wires on a diagram. I posted a pic of the diagram on another post: http://www.240z.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=2971 it located in the middle of the bottom part of the pic.
-
Anyone have wiring diagrams for....
WARNING the image is 1280 X 960. Might be slow loading so please be patient. Don't know how well this pic is but it's a wiring diagram from a 73 datsun 240z manual transmission. From what I know the 73 is not that much different from the others, just make sure you have the right colored wires. Picture is kinda blurry on the outside edges but let me know if you can see it.
-
update on speed hut indiglo gauges
One of the problems with the gauges were that we though the flames were going to be ghost images that were barely see when lit up, but that wasn't the case. The flames happen to stick out a lot more then was expected. I'm still willing to order these gauges though. All I need is a working clock to put back into my dash:stupid:
-
update on speed hut indiglo gauges
The Guages aren't bad after you get them. My brother got his for his supra and this is what it looks like Simple to set up. One of the concerns I had was how they would they link the gauges together, but after seeing them up close they link to one another by wires instead of one full overlay peice like the honda's are.
-
Blackhawk pix
Man I would have gone to that if I knew that it was this weekend! I thought it was going to be all fully resortered original cars there and no hybrid Z.
-
vin #
I tried using carfax also and got the same result. I thought you can only check cars that are 1981+ on carfax. As far as records go I though the DMV would have info on older cars, but then again doesn't carfax pull records from the DMV database:confused:
-
Wiring a 280zx turbo motor into a 240z
Thanks for the advise Rob. when I'm ready to do the swap these tips will come in handy for wiring it up.
-
Roadster 5-speed tranny swap?
Thanks Dave Sommers I was just wondering because I saw it in that catalog. Any ways do you think I would be a better idea to change the engine, tranny, driveshaft and rear diff at the same time. I'm looking into a l28zxt motor from a turbo 280zx. Would everything bolt up fine, or would slight modding be in order to get everything to bolt up right. Thanks Shiin
-
Roadster 5-speed tranny swap?
Okay was a my local Nissan Dealer asking for parts bulbs of the guages for my 240z and the parts guy pulls out a nissan motorsports dealer catalog. Well needless to say he let me briefly flip through it and it's filled with a ton of info and I was a section about trannies. Well glancing at it I see that you can there was a 5-speed tranny mod you can do with a roadster. It also stated that your required to have a 280zx flanged drive shaft for certain yeared Z, I'm going to double check with that info because the guy had to take it back because he saw I was really interested in that article. It said which transmission, but I want to know is, is the roadster's tranny good and has anyone ever heard of this mod before? Sorry for the long babbling post. Shiin:confused:
-
Wiring a 280zx turbo motor into a 240z
It's a question asked a lot and I'm sorry for asking again, but I had the thought of buying a used 2001 Celica gts or using the money to dump into the Z. I went back and forth on this for a day and thought that I can't leave my Z behind after all the work I put into finding it. So Any here done this motor swap:confused: What else is required beside and long block motor including turbo ecu wiring harness and tranny. Is it hard to wire up? i has planning on buying the motor and go on vacation for a week off of work and put the engine in, but I want to adress most of the problems before I deside to stripe my car apart. Thanks for your help:confused: -ps. Sorry for the long rambling post.
-
Wiring diagram for 1972 240z
Any time John. I cross referenced the wireing diagrams on 3 different book to the one on my 73 240z shop manual and all the wires match up for the 72 240z. My shop manual wiring diagram is the clearest, so I'll copy that one and hopefully email it to you. Also I'll see what I can do about sending the wiring diagram of the windshield wiper. Hope it helps you out. Let me know if there are any other problem I can help you out with.
-
Wiring diagram for 1972 240z
I'll see if I can run a few copies of a work and scan it in and email it to you if I can. if not I'll send it by snail mail.
-
Wiring diagram for 1972 240z
John Alex I Don't get home till about 6:00 pacific standard time so I'll respond late. Sorry
-
Wiring diagram for 1972 240z
I have a wiring diagram in front of me, but I can't scan it and send it because I have no flat bed scanner. I still might be able to help if you can answer these questions Automatic or manual transmisson? Do your License plate lights work? Parking light work? What color are the wires to the side markers? Is it a problem with the front or rear lights on the car or both?
-
After market parts
Thanks for the help guys. I've have the motorsports.com catalog and I'm ordering the Victoria British LTD this weekend. Thank you all for your help
-
Need help for a fellow Z guy
Thanks for the help so far everyone as been pointing to the same problem. It's either a problem with the distributor, bad ground, or corrosion. He might sell it if he can't fix the problem. I'll let you know what happens