IGNORED

Push Button Ignition?

Seanh

Alright guys, my ignition lock is screwed up, and I'm not going to spend the $100+ to get a new one. I want to make it a push button ignition. I'm pretty advanced with electrical work, so I know what I'm doing. But I just figured I would check to see if anyone had any information that would be helpful to me? I am going to just wire it to one switch, then a push button for the starter. I know how to do that and all, but i'm just wondering which wires I need to use and all. Which wire is hot all the time? Which one(s) are hot when in the run position? Which one is the starter wire? Thanks guys!

BTW, this is a 72 240z 4spd

Are you planning to connect it from the back of the ingnition switch or jump it right from the battery.

I with I could remember what guy I talked to because he told me what wires to splice into to.

Is the ingnition switch bad like you can't turn the key when in the ignition or it won't start when you turn pass the ON position on the switch. That would make a difference in using a key to arm it or do you want to run a constant power.

I may be able to help located which wires to splice into because I plan to do the same thing.

I am not jumping to the battery, doing it right from the ignition switch. Its bad as it I can't shut the car off, its a pain in the butt to shut it off after I start it up, I can't turn it back. Either way, a push button is cheaper and I'd like to have it.

My son has a 72 510 and I told him about the good old days of push button starter switches. The result was a toggle switch (he was too cheap to by a push button) on the dash. Now my son is very inexperienced when it comes to wiring and he had no problems setting this up. All he did was find the wire that made the starter turn over. Very easy.

Well, I did it today, worked great! I have a on-off toggle switch on the side of the center console, next to the shifter. And the push button starter right in-front of the shifter. I love it! I don't need keys either. The white/red wire is constant power, and the black/yellow(i think thats the color) right next to it is the starter enguagement wire. I hooked power to one side of the starter switch, and the black/yellow starter wire to the other side. Then all the other wires to switched power from the white/red power wire with the other switch. Result, flip switch on, push starter to start car. Flip switch off to shut it off. Works great! And only cost me $8, alot cheaper then a new lock.

When I was in high school in (69-73) one of my buds had 4 or 6 toggle switches that had to be thrown to the correct direction in order to start his car. This was a cheap solution to broken ignition switch. And we thought we were way cool, like starting a airplane.

As for me I too plan to use a on/off toggle witch that doesn't lock into one position to another, but a momentary toggle for safety reasons. I was also plan on using an aircraft switch cover. Does anyone know where I could pick one up at or do I have to order it from painless wiring.

This is what the switch looks like:

post-1082-14150792113306_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I would have liked to have one of those switches, but couldn't be gotten locally, so I just went for a regular toggle switch. There are 3 wires that need power to keep the car running, so you could hook one to wire to each one of 3 switches if you wanted to. I was worried that they may pull too much power to use the regular 10-15 amp toggle switch, but I haven't had any problems at all. So you can hook all the wires to one switch, which is what I did. Or to 3 switches. If you want to listen to your stereo while the car is not on, then I'd reccomend hooking the acc wire to another switch so you can esscentially turn your car key to acc mode. If you have any questions please feel free to email me at sean@kdsi.net I do have quite a bit of electronics expecience, so if you need anything please let me know.

Pagasus Auto Racing has those types of switch covers for $12.95 each. You can get a complete switch panel that has the toggle with the cover and a push button start switch for $36.90. Here's a shot of it...

switch.jpg

Racer Parts Wholesale also sells another brands, Rebco. They are just a tad cheaper. Pegasus has real good quality stuff but they are usually higher. Racer Parts Wholesale is a great place to buy from.

The only problem with those covers is that they are a bit touchy as easy to flip off. Sucks when you are cranking along and you flip it off by accident.