IGNORED

Roadster 5-speed tranny swap?

Shiin

Okay was a my local Nissan Dealer asking for parts bulbs of the guages for my 240z and the parts guy pulls out a nissan motorsports dealer catalog. Well needless to say he let me briefly flip through it and it's filled with a ton of info and I was a section about trannies.

Well glancing at it I see that you can there was a 5-speed tranny mod you can do with a roadster. It also stated that your required to have a 280zx flanged drive shaft for certain yeared Z,

I'm going to double check with that info because the guy had to take it back because he saw I was really interested in that article. It said which transmission, but I want to know is, is the roadster's tranny good and has anyone ever heard of this mod before?

Sorry for the long babbling post.

Shiin:confused:

The roadster 5spd can be used with a z car, but it is more difficult a swap than just going with a later model 5spd form a zx or other model.

The issues are mainly two; the rdstr trans is a 3 piece design with the starter set up for the U series engine (driver's side). You must swap the bell housing for one off an early 3 piece 240 (70-71) so the gearbox fits an L series with starter on the pass side.

The rdstr gearbox is a good set up, but they had issues with spinning the 5 gear drive sometimes and were also prone to syncro problems, just like the standard 4spd. A better box is the older Datsun comp 5spd using the porche type syncros, but it is not commonly found.

In short just get yourself a late model 2 piece gearbox that fits an L motor and give the rdstr gearbox to our roadster brothers - they need it more than you do and it is alot less trouble for you as well

Thanks Dave Sommers

I was just wondering because I saw it in that catalog. Any ways do you think I would be a better idea to change the engine, tranny, driveshaft and rear diff at the same time.

I'm looking into a l28zxt motor from a turbo 280zx. Would everything bolt up fine, or would slight modding be in order to get everything to bolt up right.

Thanks

Shiin