Everything posted by TomoHawk
-
Cleaning and restoring guage faces
That sounds good; it'll take care of the dull, smudgy plastic lenses? So we still need to do the faces and the printing. Come to think of it, if you knew what was used to put the numbers on the faces, as in what kind of paint, then you would know at least what kind of cleaning agent NOT to use.
-
Cleaning and restoring guage faces
Alcohol is a fairly "strong" solvent, depending on what it is. It's used in all kinds of synthetic reactions to drive the reaction. I think something like Naphtha would be better to clean the gauge faces. Regarding using the heat gun- I don't think that which material the face is made of is not as significant as the age of the material. OTOH, when they clean valuable paintings, what do they use? Maybe they use water to just dust it off, but they otherwise rub the paint, lightly, with something. I think the odometer wheels can be cleaned/brightened with alcohol or naphtha, but the gauge faces/numbers are printed or painted, so it is imperative to clean & brighten that without damaging it. Reproduction faces (if you choose to use it) with day-glo (or luminescent?) numbers sounds like an idea to be easier to read at night, or even in any kind of light
-
Cleaning and restoring guage faces
Before even doing anything with the bulbs, the gauge faces must be cleaned or restored. Brighter light won't be too affective if the numbers are dirty or dull. I won't even think of anything concerning bulbs before that. However, I am already knowledgeable wit the bulb upgrades and the green bulb covers.
-
Cleaning and restoring guage faces
Without replacing the gauge faces, how do you clean the faces, especially the numbers on the speedometer and tachometer, and the odometer wheels so you can see them better with whatever light you get out of the dim bulbs? I have no reference to go by, so does anyone have a picture of what the speedometer should look like when new? I think I might get the 4-watt bulbs that MSA has, and I would probably also color the bulbs green. If buying the MSA bulbs is not advisable, due to high cost or that there is just a better choice of bulb (5 watt?) then please comment on that. thxZ
-
Dim headlight
Keep a few cans of DeOxit in the arsenal. It is used to remove oxidation from fuse panel clips, blade connectors, pin connections, switch contacts, etc. DeOxit 100 takes off the heavy oxidation, and DeOxit 5 is used to lubricate and maintain the contacts.
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
Awesome. The grass was in perfect focus! Hahaha
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
Is there a way to download that stuff?
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
Don't forget to thank Mr. Stokes for starting this thread in the first place, and letting us know that we cold all be a part of this important event. Speaking of Mr. Stokes, I'd like to hear how he came to know about the whole idea that Mr. Morton was invited to race and the Bonks were going to build John a car, and that we could get involved with the whole thing. I wonder if John signed the car? I suppose they could give him a 1 inch paint brush instead of the usual Sharpie.
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
What isthe white thing taped to the glass above the names? More names?
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
Isthere any work on Mr. Morton at the runnoffs? Some pictures, maybe?
-
280z Plastic Inner Fender Question
Those look just like the ones on my 1978, even the square holes where the screws were. We really do need a supply of new ones, probably made with HDPE; they do a hell of a job keeping the inside of the fenders clean and rust-free, for those who drive on the highways and in the rain.
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
I thought CarCast was a TV programme of some kind. I'm collecting all the videos I can regarding this event, but there is none for the CarCast interview. It's kind of boring, because they talk about all kinbds of other stuff besides the racing atthe runoffs; JOhns old race cars, 510s, other Brock cars. BTW- if you guys know of any videos regarding John Morton at the runoffs, besides the "Project 46" stuff, I'd appreciate a link to the video. thxZ
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
I found out that Adam Carolla is having John Morton as a guest on his CarCast show. Here is the Podcast for you to enjoy: Listen to John Morton - CarCast Podcast online I don't think there are any videos from the CarCast.
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
I could never make the drive there without falling asleep. Is there some way to put in a live streaming webcam into John's car?
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
OK, so there is a week until the EP championship race starts. Then we will see if our generous donations went to good cause.
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
I think I will make a DVD out of all this John Morton runoff stuff.
-
240Z Design Development Process - Exterior
Thanks, but that Moto Man show was dumb. There was no real history, but a few good bits, like when Matsuo-san explained why they decided to use the hatchback design.
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
It sounds like a kind of John Wayne movie... When you refer to trash-talking, do you mean here, of somewhere else? If elsewhere, can you post a link? thxZ
-
Here is something every Serious Z Enthusiast should be a part of!
According to the website where you make your donation, they raised over $4000. I suppose they raised more funds with other fundraising directions. So I'll have some fun with my crew shirt, and be thinking of you blokes as I enjoy my dinner. But thanks to Mr. Stokes for bringing this up to our attention.
-
240Z Design Development Process - Exterior
Instead of video, is there any documentation of the chassis, engine, and interior at all?
-
Stacey David 250 GTO Build
Thanks DJ, maybe I'll look to see if that show is available online.
-
240z brochure thread
Was that a Swedish brochure, Blue?
-
Gasket for Inspection Lamp
That looks like an improvement to what was in there originally. I have never seen that material in the usual auto parts stores; is there anything else that you could get at the DIY stores, like Home Depot, or even a fabric store?
-
Gasket for Inspection Lamp
It looks as though you could just put in a 3mm ring of silicone RTV and never need another.
-
Gasket for Inspection Lamp
OK, but as I said, this rubber part is basically just an O-ring with a triangular cross-section.