IGNORED

280z Plastic Inner Fender Question

CG240Z

My Plastic inner fender's are shot beyond repair. You touch them and they crack, I didn't know plastic could get this brittle. I saw this set on ebay, asked the seller if they were for a 280 because that's not what mine look like. He responded "You must have a 280zx, not a 280z". All right dude, you're right, I don't know what year my freaking car is. I must have been wrong all these years. I was simply stating that these aren't like mine and wonder what years they fit. So maybe someone can clarify these inner fenders to me that our on ebay.

Here's the link to the ebay ad.

Here's a picture of what mine look like. (Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.)

post-25778-14150825655115_thumb.jpg

post-25778-14150825655634_thumb.jpg

I have a 05/77 280Z and it has the same plastic ones you have. Mine are not brittle, not yet anyway.

The ebay version should fit. The fenders are the same, but there might be differences in the method used to mount them on the inner body section.

Chas

It would be nice to know what car the

ones you have came off of. Those are definately not from a 70-78. Any markings

on them?

They give better protection for the inner fender because they're one piece and water can't splash around them like the original set.

If they fit good i'de just fiberglass over the cracks. My replacement set is cracking too only after a few years. Hard to find ones that aren't cracked. It would be real easy to make up fiberglass molds for these or glass completely over the top of the plastic.

Edited by hr369

It would be nice to know what car the

ones you have came off of. Those are definately not from a 70-78. Any markings

on them?

They give better protection for the inner fender because they're one piece and water can't splash around them like the original set.

If they fit good i'de just fiberglass over the cracks. My replacement set is cracking too only after a few years. Hard to find ones that aren't cracked. It would be real easy to make up fiberglass molds for these or glass completely over the top of the plastic.

They are from a 78. Z Car Source has 78 inner fenders listed on their website and it's the same picture as mine, but it's call for Availability and price. So it looks like around 77 Datsun switched from the multiple pieces to the single piece.

Those look just like the ones on my 1978, even the square holes where the screws were.

We really do need a supply of new ones, probably made with HDPE; they do a hell of a job keeping the inside of the fenders clean and rust-free, for those who drive on the highways and in the rain.

We really do need a supply of new ones, probably made with HDPE; they do a hell of a job keeping the inside of the fenders clean and rust-free, for those who drive on the highways and in the rain.

That would be great. I can't see it happening anytime soon though.

For the record, I looked into this on the Z Car CD Rom which has digital copies of the original Datsun parts microfiche.

It looks as if they moved to the one piece inner liners in June of 1976 according to the microfiche.

The 3 piece version shown on eBay appears to have been used from 1/74 to 5/76. Prior to that, on the 240's, it appears that only the rear part of the liner was used. The microfiche does not seem to show a top or front part of the liner at all.

Hope this helps. If you need any more info from the microfiche, let me know and I would be happy to research it.

Mike.