IGNORED

Vibrating shifter

240ZMan

You can get the bushings and rubber seals from Chloe at MidwestZ. I have two sets coming - one for my new 280 (the shifter is quite loose and sloppy), and one for the 5 speed coming out of my 280 parts car that will go in my 240. Note that when I took the shifter out of the parts car, there were no bushings! Chloe says that the trannys "eat them". I suspect that's what I'll find in the new 280 as well.

Originally posted by mdbrandy

Chloe says that the trannys "eat them". I suspect that's what I'll find in the new 280 as well.

Yes, as they get broken apart by shifting action over the years, the pieces fall into the transmission and either get ground up or fall to the bottom of the case. When I have drained transmissions (hot) I have seen small chunks of bushing in the drain pan.

• 4 years later...

1. take the center console out

2. take both of the rubber boots off of the shifter

3. carefully remove the c-clip on the pin holding the shifter in the tranny

4. pull the pin holding the shifter out

The shifter should pull straight up and out after those steps.

5. install new bushings in the shifter, not the transmission tabs

6. then put it back together.

Thats how I did it on my 260z. I have never done shifter bushings on a 240z but I would imagine the steps are very similar, if not identical to the 260z.

Daniel,

Here is a write up I did for our NWZ club members. I can't take credit for this bushing upgrade - I read about it somewhere and did the upgrade on my 1972 Z.

REPLACING WORN SHIFTER BUSHINGS

The bushings I used were automotive door hinge bushings. The kit is made by HELP!, and the kit that you want is #38377. It will work on all Z four and five speed shifters from 1970 through 1983 (not including the BW T5). I bought my kit at Baxter's Automotive. They had to order it from downtown - however, I had it that same afternoon. I would call and see if they have it in stock. If not, they'll get it in for you. List price was $4.95.

I lubed the bushings and shifter hole with white lithium grease, then used a vise to press the bushings into the shifter cross pin hole. Next, I put a little lithium grease into the bushings and on the pin, then I worked the pin in and out a few times. It gives a very snug fit with no bushing/pin sloppiness at all. There will be a small void between the two bushings. I filled that with grease for ongoing lubrication.

When I put the shifter lever back into the tranny "ears", it was a little too tight. So I took a sheet of very fine sandpaper and laid it flat on my work bench. Then I rubbed the flat sides of the bushings in a circular motion for a few seconds (we're talking just a thousandth or two here). Then the lever slipped right into the tranny ears without problem. The whole process took about fifteen minutes - a piece of cake.