IGNORED

Vibrating shifter

240ZMan

Whenever I get over 5k revs at WOT on my 73 240 the shifter begins to vibrate enough to make a loud sort of buzzing noise. I recall someone saying that this was due to the shifter bushings being worn, but before I change them I wanted to hear what others thought.

Daniel

On the end of a tap is the short answer. I made mine using the brass bit from the middle of a tap, its just slightly oversize, you turn it down on a lathe, and press it in, totally slop free gearchange. However in the US I believe you guys have it easy, there is some model car that uses the same/aaproriate size brass bushes in its door hinges, and for three odd dollars, you can get brass bushes, cant remember what the car was though.

Happy hunting

Odds are it is the plastics are worn BUT, through the years I have had that problem be a worn shift knob! If I remove it from the shifter the noise is gone. its like the metal insert comes loose from the wood and increases the volume. Easy enough to test. You should also order the three rubber pieces that seal the tranny from the inside of the car. Yours is no doubt rotten and it will help keep out exhaust this winter.

Interesting comment about the shifter knob. That is where the sound seems to originate, although mine is not wood but leather instead. I plan to change the bushings anyway as I'm sure after 30 years and 200k+ miles they need some help. That may result in less vibration of the shifter and hence less noise from the knob, or at least that's my thinking for the moment.

I have a new rubber boot under the leather shifter boot. But you mentioned "three rubber pieces". What/where are the other 2?

Thanks.

I only know of two rubber pieces there. One seals the actual opening in the transmission where the shifter mounts (it is round), the other seals the transmission tunnel itself. The only other thing there is the interior boot (a vinyl boot mounted to the console)

Here's a picture from an eBay auction. It shows the two rubber pieces and the holddown ring for the trans tunnel piece, and a shift knob.

PS The shift knob usually loosens due to the vibrations caused by worn/damaged shifter bushings. If the insert looens much the knob will fall off in your hand.