IGNORED

original jute material

kats

On 8/17/2022 at 3:27 PM, kats said:

Hi Keith, yes the jute is sewn to the carpet , looks like it is original , an inspection stamp has an inspector name “ Hoshino “ on it , 1 K 15  15 will mean 1971 November 15th , the last ‘15’ is still unknown. 
This car has a set of 5 pieces carpet and 5 pieces of jute , all carpets have this inspection stamp at the back . 

Yes I think so too , the heel pad looked to be the same as yours , interesting! 

Kats

FF564B05-EFAA-4519-988E-044E90E68E91.jpeg

76B8ADAC-0FD0-4AB7-B103-53E45511AD43.jpeg

C50E3384-B9C1-432B-8D0E-F1ADF176920C.jpeg

Hey Kats,

My Z car came with dryed out rubber mats with datsun on it. Did they first years 240z came with rubber mats, that later changed to jute ? 

• Like 1

Original rubber flooring came on the early USA exports without any jute insulation.  Carpeting was added at the port of entry with jute.  The front mats probably look like this?

FloorMat_rubber-02.jpg

FloorMat_rubber-01.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 2

Hi Bart, Chris 26th-Z answered to your question, I didn’t know that story when I heard of it here classic Zcar club. 

And carpeting is always one of my big interest. How did they look like? It is very difficult to find true original, difficult to see good condition originals in person.

What I am not clear about is the earliest carpets which were added at the port of entry (dealership ?) in the U.S. 

Were the carpets made in U.S? Were they exactly the same to the ones which were applied later such as January or February?

E4601 is the first number for the carpets  for export model (LHD territory), was this number “E4601” for the carpets which was added at the port of entry in the U.S? 

Or if Nissan would have started to apply new carpets for the export model around January or February etc, were they exactly the same ones for the ones applied to Japanese Fairlady Z series? And were they the ones which got the number E4601 for the first time?

I confirmed my 12/1971 North American 240Z and 06/1972 Fairlady 240ZG have the same carpets which were made of the same materials.

But I still don’t get it, they have different parts number for each of them for the rear deck carpet which doesn’t seem to be any different. Very confused.

Kats

Edited by kats

On 8/19/2023 at 6:30 AM, Patcon said:

My plan is to make some templates for the jute. I am looking to do this for an 11/70 car. If anyone can provide any dimensions they would be most welcomed

C

Hi Patcon, 

I can say I am convinced about the jute for cars up to January or February 1971. 
Our cars have only one jute for both sides of front floor, for any cars Japanese and all the other destinations. That is why there are cut outs for the seat mounts forward brackets to be utilized for all the destinations. And the shape is the one shown here from the Green BAT 240Z (04/1970).

My car HLS30-02146 (03/1970) still has the one on the right side. I can make a template for you Patcon (including rear floor and luggage floor) I will send you papers which I draw.

Easy homework for me! 

Kats

3DDE773E-C279-44B4-A205-EB826428F7A9.png

4E4B39D8-787B-4C09-8053-3A62C0B22FCC.jpeg

C74F480F-3019-4B1A-BF1A-A18D534E55AC.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, Chester & Herod manufactured carpeting for the first 1800 cars imported into North America.  They used a closed loop pile material as per Nissan and used patterns from the rubber floor mats.  This according to e-mail correspondence dating back to 2006.

Hi.

We copied the rubber mats for our pattern but they had 5 prototype demos and they were all different floor.  When they (decided) on the one that they would produce, they put a jack behind the passenger seat with a cut out on the rear mat for it & we made 1800 mats that we had to take back & make that cut out for the jack.

Those rudder mats is what they (were) going to use until they saw our carpet.  We can make rubber mats but carpet comes with padding.  We can make wool carpet if you (want) it'.

Hi

We have the original pattern.  The original was loop.

We made carpet for the first 1970 Z (1800 cars) that (were) shipped to the U. S. A.

We can make the carpet any way and out of any carpet you (want).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kats said:

y car HLS30-02146 (03/1970) still has the one on the right side. I can make a template for you Patcon (including rear floor and luggage floor) I will send you papers which I draw.

Easy homework for me! 

That would be great!!

C

On 8/21/2023 at 5:54 AM, Patcon said:

That would be great!!

C

Hi Patcon, was your car made in November or December 1970? 
If so, this jute is what your car would have. 
The picture was taken from a December 1970 Z432 owned by Mr. Watanabe.
The car still has a set of jute and carpet seemed came with the car from the factory.

Now we can say at least on December 1970, the pattern of jute had already changed to the later one which can be seen on 1972 cars. 

The difference between the two, the early one has cut outs for the drain plugs and the foot rest, and the seat mount brackets. The later one doesn’t have cut outs for the drain plugs.

Kats

1871B764-0C7D-4A34-AEF8-CE5355A49AA9.jpeg

82FE91EE-841D-467D-8355-B4BDE0B71C68.jpeg

Edited by kats

7 hours ago, kats said:

The car still has a set of jute and carpet seemed came with the car from the factory.

Now we can say at least on December 1970, the pattern of jute had already changed to the later one which can be seen on 1972 cars. 

The difference between the two, the early one has cut outs for the drain plugs and the foot rest, and the seat mount brackets. The later one doesn’t have cut outs for the drain plugs.

Kats

Yes, my car was made 11/70

10 hours ago, kats said:

Kats

The early USDM cars did not come With carpet nor Jute underlay. To my knowledge, C&H cut these pieces using their proprietary patterns. The trimming of the cut outs for the drain plugs and the foot rest, and the seat mount brackets were at their discretion and may not have been consistently done.

Keith

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zed2 said:

The early USDM cars did not come With carpet nor Jute underlay. To my knowledge, C&H cut these pieces using their proprietary patterns. The trimming of the cut outs for the drain plugs and the foot rest, and the seat mount brackets were at their discretion and may not have been consistently done.

Keith

Hi Keith, I am thinking like Patcon. The story of the tailor made carpets might apply to the very early cars like up to January or February 1970.

My March 1970 240Z and the BAT ultra mint green April 1970 240Z have the same jute and carpets, especially the jute look just like Japanese S30 cars.  I would like to have more examples of them to see how they look like.

One thing I am suspicious about is the carpets for cars up to middle of 1970 (or late 1970 or early 1971). The carpets for the US cars looks slightly different in the loop pile material than the ones for the Japanese cars.
Now we see the US 1969 cars have different type of loop pile material due to the local shop made them for the early cars. 

But my 03/1970 and the BAT green 04/1970 both have the same carpets which look like the ones for the US 1969 cars. 
And also the carpets look different than the ones for the Japanese cars.
So could they be the US made in those days? Not even a 1969 car could have the US local made carpets?

About the jute pads, I am coming to conclusion that the jute for the US 03/1970 and 04/1970 are the same ones with all the other territories.

Kats

• Like 1