IGNORED

How wide is too wide?

Alfadog

I don't think to many people are aware of these rules, even plod.

It was highlighted in a recent RACV article [thats an Service Auto club for those O/s]

Several points were raised on about tyres and roadworthy vehicles. This was one, one other was spare tyres.

It appears that if a car is presented for a roadworthy without a spare, then the car is considered roadworthy from a tyre point.

Now get this, if a vehicle is presented with a spare that has no legal tread or is carrying one of those newer space saving spares, then the vehicle is deemed as being un-roadworthy.

These technical points are relativly unknown by all but the nit pickers!

I believe that the Government is looking into the space saving spares as they are becoming more prevelant these days and technicaly render the vehicle un-roadworthy.

Gavin - the wider tire will increase the contact patch area of rubber on the road. That will translate back to the steering wheel with increased "feel" of the paving imperfections. Also, a wider offset will effectively increase the track width - center of wheel to center of wheel - thereby increasing the distance at the spindle / steering knuckle. That will translate back to the steering wheel as quicker response and increased road "feel". All of that will affect the control of the car through driver response. These issues are desireable in racing form - increased response and traction - on a smooth, consistant road surface, but present practical problems in everyday driving. You'll "fight the wheel" more at slower speeds.

The logic behind the wheels and tires sticking out from the fender is to prevent debris and water from spraying up.

• 5 months later...

Lachlan,

A little late this response I know but when I fitted wheels to my C110 GTR replica they were Series 2 280ZX rims, 14 x 6 with 225 tyres all round.

This combo didn't look too bad, although another inch or so outwards (deeper dish) with 245-255? tyres would have done the trick perfectly.

If you want I can measure the offset on these rims, and from there all you'd need to do is add on an inch or so and you'd have the right size.

I recall measuring distance between tyre and flares when fitted and it was a little over an inch&1/2.

On a personal note I prefer the wider tyres fitted to rims, adds to the deep dish effect.

Let me know if you'd like some info, I've also been able to trace who's got hold of the original GTR flare moulds now.

James

James,

Thanks for the offer! But I've already bought all 4 wheels now, so there wouldn't be much use unfortunately. I did some educated guesses and with the help of Alan T and his contacts I think I've found what I'm looking for.

I've also got a hold of some flares! It is all coming together...

Nice revival of the thread btw... LOL

Hi!

I got them imported from Japan, actually. Probably costed a fair bit more than the ones from Melbourne, but they would be at least as good quality. I tried buying the ones from Melbourne earlier but no one seemed to know where the moulds were!!! ROFL

Good luck with your negotiations