IGNORED

How wide is too wide?

Alfadog

As you may or may not know, I'm currently turning my 240K into a Skyline GT-R replica. Anyways, I'm trying to get some Watanabes at the moment and I'm just having a hard time working out how wide I can go!?

I've attached a couple of pictures to let you get the idea, and I was hoping some of you who have a bit of experience might be able to suggest the widest wheel that could fit under the flares.

Thanks guys!!!

As it stands now: http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/data/3079/1243rearquarterlow_small-med.jpg

Attached: Skyline with flares (picture thanks to Alan T)

post-1243-14150792847763_thumb.jpg

Kinda hard to guess at the width on the white car, but I'd say either 7.5 to 9 inches... 8 inch would probably be a good size for the rear, but I'm wondering if you can run the same size all around. Maybe 7 in the front and 8 in the back?:ermm:

FWIW, I like the green and gold car better....:devious: looks like it has close to 10 wide in the back and maybe 8 to 9 in the front....

be nice to take that one for a "test drive".....:cross-eye

Hi Alfadog,

The white car in the photo has 8.5J on the front and 9.5J on the rear according to the photo caption. They are 15 inch, and he is using a quite narrow rear tyre stretched across the rim. Ideally the tyre would be wider, but these young guys in Japan seem to be happy to stretch a tyre a bit further than the pros would advise......

Don't forget that the 15 inchers are going to be more expensive than 14 inchers if you are buying used ones. There's a good reason for that, and its to do with tyres. Basically, you have a lot more choice of tyres for the 15 inchers than the 14 inchers.

Also, don't forget about wheel offset. That's going to be more critical than the actual rim width up to a point. You need a lot of negative offset for this look ( the rims will look to have more 'dish' when viewed from the outside ) and if the offset is too positive you'll be hitting your springs and / or inner arches.

Personally, I'd have a look around at tyre choices before settling on a final rim size. You can stretch the tyres like they do in Japan, but I would not take it too far if I were you.

With the C110 GT-R type of 'Overfenders' ( as on the white car in the pic ) you would not be wanting to go wider than the 8.5 front and 9.5 rear. My recommendation would be to stick to around 7.5 to 8J front and 8J to 9J rear with the correct offsets.

I'm off to Japan tomorrow and I'll ask about the Overfenders for you. I'll get the recommended wheel size and offset for you if I can. Watch out for a PM.

I'm going to sound like a spoilsport here, but I recommend that you do not overdo the width to the point where driveability suffers. I have personal experience of going too wide. It looks great but it slows you down, and you'll end up with forearms like Popeye!.................

Alan T.:classic:

ps - here's a pic of the "Works" '73 KPGC110 rear wheel. That's an 11J rim, and its not an RS Watanabe.

post-2116-14150792848727_thumb.jpg

Alfa,

In Victoria it is illegal [unroadworthy] to have different sizes front ot back [even though many including myself do it, but be prepared to have it roadworthied with stock rims!].

If I was going down this road again I would go for 15" rims and no wider than 215.

Just curious as nobody has ever said or mentioned to me, but I'm curious about what's the law or safety concern with having wheels stick out of the wheel arch?

:ermm:

Interesting Zedrally I never realised it was illegal I wonder if my Superlites are same on the front and back.

I know that my old 260z didn't have same sizes on front and rear but it still managed for Roadworthy.

:ermm:

Thanks for all your help guys!! Looks like I'll try to find 7.5, and 9, ideally! Of course beggars can't be choosers... just looks like the set of 10" and 9" ones are out of the question :(

I'd really like 15s instead of 14, but like you said Alan they are going to cost more. We'll just see what comes up as in the end I'm not really all that fussed. About hte offset thing, well, it's going to be hard to find the "perfect" set at a good price, but yes it would be fantastic if you could try to find out for me if you get bored over there!!! I don't get to work out these days, I think some big fat wheels would be good for me ;)

Oh and Alan, do you know why the Japanese often stetch the tyres like that so much??? I've noticed it quite a bit and kinda think its cool ... in a psycho awesome Japanese kinda way... if you know what I mean (fender mirrors and vertical tail pipes).

ZedRally, do you mean different width rims or tyres? Just interested...

Gavin, I'm pretty sure if any parts of the wheel stick out of the wheel arches it's illegal. That's my biggest worry !! :S

Once again, thanks guys I really appreciate it

Originally posted by Alfadog

ZedRally, do you mean different width rims or tyres? Just interested...

You got me on that one, I'm running 225 on the rear, 215 on the front [white 260], same width rims and I know if a "plod" who knows the RT Rules wanted to give me a canary then I would need to change them so they all all the same.

It's raining here today, with 225 on the rear you need to be so careful in accelerating out of corners!

The rally car is 195 all around and handles great in all conditions, so when the time comes it will be back to 195's on the 260.

Glad they don't have laws like that here... be odd seeing a Viper with the same size tires both front and rear, or Vettes, or.....hmm, lots of cars here have different size tires front to rear....or does this only apply to older cars or all cars?:ermm: