Wiper pump motor thoughts - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Wiper pump motor thoughts

Featured Replies

I’m getting a 1970 car back in shape. It has a lot of unoriginal parts but my general philosophy has been to restore closer to original condition where possible.

A PO clipped the wires in the engine bay that go to the pump motor. I removed the tank and pump and tested on bench. The motor spins but develops no suction. It is the original motor and tank for the 1970 car.

I’m not sure what to do at this point. The wipers work, the wiper fluid nozzles are ok (tested those too), but it seems I either get a new motor and put in the tank and thus lose some more originality or I leave it as is. I’m even if that tank pump worked I would never fill it. Water in the car???! No thanks. But otoh it’s kind of cool if everything works.

I see these new motors and replacement tank/motor combos for sale so people must be buying them.

What would you do if you were me?

I’m not planning on selling the car any time soon. And like I said it’s never going to be original enough to sell as anything other than a nice driver. (Err at least I hope it will be a driver in a month or two).

Ask around., I’m sure someone has an old pump motor laying around. Where are you located. It helps us if your profile is complete with the area of the country you live in.

The pump motor does not produce suction, it depends on a gravity feed of the washer fluid. Check the attachment of the supply and output tubes to see if they are correct. Ask me how I know!!! 😉

  • Author
1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Can you take it apart? Looks like it's possible. Might be worth an inspection. Can't hurt if it's already broken.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/257561741748?_skw=Datsun+240z+OEM+Factory+Windshield+Washer+Tank+Assembly+27470-89901

image.png

Can I take it apart? Yes. Put it back together again? We’ll see…

as soon as I got the top part off some plastic bits fell out. I would say those are what’s left of the impeller. Might work with a new one. In for a penny…

IMG_1911.jpeg

Edited by Warty
removed triple quotes.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Explains why somebody would be selling impellers. I was a little bit "what the heck" when I saw the eBay listing. 10 available. Probably one of those wrecking yard pocket harvesters.

Gonna cost you $25 just to give it a whirl.

  • Author
6 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I would have to cut up the rubber boot that holds the motor to the tank with that one. The power connector is too tall. I think I saw a replacement motor plus boot somewhere.

Trico 11-601 is the pump you’re looking for.

You can also use that pump that Zed Head showed, just chop off that plastic connector and solder the wires to the revealed terminals on the pump body.

Also https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/63107-how-to-replace-windshield-washer-pump-motor/

IMG_5408.jpeg

IMG_5409.jpeg

Edited by zKars

Good lord, just searching around on the net for that part number shows prices in the $40-70 range! I don’t think so Tim!

Guess my stash of these is going to be my retirement suppliment.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.