Replacement Drums - Cast Iron or Aluminum? - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Replacement Drums - Cast Iron or Aluminum?

Featured Replies

I was cleaning up my drums ('72 Z) and noticed some cracks.

They obviously have to be replaced.

Saw 2 options- Cast Iron and Aluminum

Cast iron available most anywhere but not original

Found some aluminum drums from datsunparts.com and would rather go this route.

Has anyone dealt with tried these drums before?

What part of the country are you located?

  • Author
17 hours ago, Yarb said:

What part of the country are you located?

I'm in Birmingham, AL

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
19 minutes ago, tadslc said:

I'm in Birmingham, AL

Would you by chance know of a machinest that does cylinder head work? Thanks for any input. I'm an hour north in Gadsden. I want to set up a p90 with a stage 3 cam kit from Schneider. I'm thinking with Barber's near by there may be a way back shop?

Is there a Datsun Z group that you know of?

Thank you.

Edited by siteunseen

I have a used set from a 78 280 that I pulled off when I went to rear disc.

  • Author
20 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Would you by chance know of a machinest that does cylinder head work? Thanks for any input. I'm an hour north in Gadsden. I want to set up a p90 with a stage 3 cam kit from Schneider. I'm thinking with Barber's near by there may be a way back shop?

Is there a Datsun Z group that you know of?

Thank you.

I'll check on a machine shop but in the mean time search on Facebook for the Iron City Z Club

On 5/11/2026 at 6:41 AM, tadslc said:

noticed some cracks.

Can you post a picture? Don't think I've seen cracked drums. Wonder why they cracked? Is it around the lug holes?

I've seen cracking in the liners and guessed it was age or too much heat? Anyhow if it's not a show car and who's gonna look at rear drums I'd go with steel. That's what I've done on both my restore-ish jobs.

Edited by siteunseen

  • Author
19 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Can you post a picture? Don't think I've seen cracked drums. Wonder why they cracked? Is it around the lug holes?

Here you go. This is just one but the other is in similar shape

Cracked Brake Drum 1.jpg

Carcked Brake Drum 2.jpg

Edited by tadslc

  • Author
18 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I've seen cracking in the liners and guessed it was age or too much heat? Anyhow if it's not a show car and who's gonna look at rear drums I'd go with steel. That's what I've done on both my restore-ish jobs.

I understand the thought but I just don't feel comfortable keeping them.

I went ahead and ordered the aluminum brake drums from datsunparts.com. The weight difference was just too great for me to go with cast iron (6.5 lbs vs. 12 lbs). I know it doesn't make much sense given the price difference but it would have bugged me.

I'll let y'all know my thoughts on them when they arrive.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.