IGNORED

Starter plunger stuck at normal engine temperature

Hi Guys,

So my car cranks up fine when it is cold sitting overnight etc.

After driving sometimes and when engine reaches normal temperature if I park my car somewhere and shut it down, I cannot start it anymore. I mean the starter plunger do not engage, it is getting voltage etc. Once I have let everything cool down it then engages upon start and cranks engine fine.

Has anyone seen this issue with the starter? Mine is original which was rebuilt. I have seen similar issue with other car car I have which is a 69. Exact same thing.

I have not tried putting a heat shield around it but want to know if this is a known issues.

The solenoid plunger can get stuck in the cylinder.  All that is causing it to move is the magnetic field created by the solenoid coil.  Take it off and see if something is misaligned.  Could also be an open circuit somewhere.

Are you saying that you don't even hear a click when you turn the key?

Check the mounting bolts for the solenoid.  Grab the solenoid and see if it's loose.

image.png

26 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

The solenoid plunger can get stuck in the cylinder.  All that is causing it to move is the magnetic field created by the solenoid coil.  Take it off and see if something is misaligned.  Could also be an open circuit somewhere.

Are you saying that you don't even hear a click when you turn the key?

Check the mounting bolts for the solenoid.  Grab the solenoid and see if it's loose.

image.png

I do hear a click but that's all at normal engine temperature etc. When it finally cools it engages the motor and cranks nicely.

Then what I wrote applies pretty well.  It will be hard to determine is the solenod has an open circuit when it gets hot or if it's sticking.  You might try tapping/beating on it when it happens.

You said it has voltage.  Is your probe on the male terminal itself or on the female wire end when you measure?  The female ends get loose and lose contct.  Maybe it just needs a good squeeze.

Edited by Zed Head

53 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Or, if everything goes dead when you turn the key, it could be a dirty battery terminal.  

This is definitely not the case. I am sure it is plunger issue. Why does it get stuck when hot, thats what I am trying to get too.

On my 69 i only had this issue once and after a little tap with a rubber mallet (tow truck guy recommended this!) it worked. So I am wondering why...

Here's a trick that might tell you something.  Connect a light or a buzzer between the starter solenoid wire and the solenoid terminal.  When you turn the key to start the starter should work and the light should light or the buzzer buzz.  If you turn the key to Start and you get a light or buzz but the plunger doesn't plunge it's a mechanical problem.  If you turn the key to Start but there is no light or buzz then it's a heat-induced open electrical circuit.  No current flow through the solenoid windings.  The ground for the light or buzzer is on the other end of the windings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...