IGNORED

12v Battery Recommendation

chaseincats

Hey gang,

So it's time for a new battery - my Interstate MT-24 from 2018 has thrown in the towel.  Should I just get another one of those or is there a commonly agreed upon better one to go with, without breaking the bank?

3 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Where is the positive terminal on the old battery?

I prefer to get one that has the positive terminal away from the fender.

Interstate MT24 has the positive terminal under the inspection flap.  Having it the other way around makes sense, but my wires wont reach.

8 hours ago, chaseincats said:

Interstate MT24 has the positive terminal under the inspection flap.  Having it the other way around makes sense, but my wires wont reach.

Group 24 batteries are standard. That puts the positive terminal under the inspection door where it belongs. Amongst other reasons, I think the most important reason for keeping it this way is that you should pull the negative terminal off the battery any time you are trying to disconnect the battery for replacement, removal, or servicing the electrical system. I won't put a Group 24F battery in my Z cars, especially after I had a mishap from not securing the battery properly.

I also suggest getting a battery with a flat top if possible. I'm pretty sure that the stock battery bracket would work better. I will probably test my theory in the next month or so. Batteries Plus carries this Group 24 battery. It's more than the Walmart batteries, but I found the Walmart batteries to be hit or miss when I use my battery testers. One holds up fine after 2.5 years, and the other registers replace now, though it still has enough power to turn the starter and fire the car.

image.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Group 24 batteries are standard. That puts the positive terminal under the inspection door where it belongs. Amongst other reasons, I think the most important reason for keeping it this way is that you should pull the negative terminal off the battery any time you are trying to disconnect the battery for replacement, removal, or servicing the electrical system. I won't put a Group 24F battery in my Z cars, especially after I had a mishap from not securing the battery properly.

I also suggest getting a battery with a flat top if possible. I'm pretty sure that the stock battery bracket would work better. I will probably test my theory in the next month or so. Batteries Plus carries this Group 24 battery. It's more than the Walmart batteries, but I found the Walmart batteries to be hit or miss when I use my battery testers. One holds up fine after 2.5 years, and the other registers replace now, though it still has enough power to turn the starter and fire the car.

image.png

So go for a group 24 instead of 24f?  I didn't know there was a difference, I'll grab one, thanks.

The Walmart Group 24F I purchased in 2011 held up for 10 years! But... that was then and this is now, no telling who is making them at this time. Watch the warranty period on your candidates, I think the Duracell is only 24 months.

Edited by jfa.series1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Good info. I personally use a group 64 in my Zcar and 91 ford truck. 2 years ago I was taliking to my local repair shop and was told barreries are only lasting 3 years at best?? Wow I can remember just 6 years ago I replaced my OEM Motor Craft battery in the truck and I had 7 years on it....times are changing.

• Agree 1

I once had a calcium battery in my 240z and 300zxtt and they worked for over 10 years! (I kept them under a small battery trickle charger when not used.)

Now i have ordinary lead battery's and one is (2018) also already giving up.. ( one time it got very low as the car has a alarmsystem and the charger wasn't on it at that moment, so i guess i was the culprit..oeps..)

I'm thinking of getting these calcium battery's again, they stay better when used only few times a year..  And the price is not much more if any..