IGNORED

Stereo tape in 280z (Clarion Radio Connector)

MH77280Z

I'm moving over here from that other thread since this is where you started.

So just to make sure I understand the issue of what's going on here... You have a 77 car and you're trying to install a Datsun radio from an earlier year, presumably from a 76.

This pic you posted above shows the typical black connector the used in 1977:
IMG_9142.jpg 

On that connector the wires are as follows:
Blue is +12V power in. Hot when in ACC and ON.
One of the blacks is connected to chassis ground.
The other black is the speaker (-) connection.
Black/Red wire is the speaker (+) connection.
Green/White is panel illumination high side. Goes to the headlight switch.
Red/Blue is panel illumination ground side. Goes to the rheostat.

So that's the CAR side of things.

Can you take a pic of the back of the Clarion that you are trying to install? You have some pics above, but they don't show all the wiring. The connector is tucked under the radio.

1 hour ago, Captain Obvious said:

I'm moving over here from that other thread since this is where you started.

So just to make sure I understand the issue of what's going on here... You have a 77 car and you're trying to install a Datsun radio from an earlier year, presumably from a 76.

This pic you posted above shows the typical black connector the used in 1977:
IMG_9142.jpg 

On that connector the wires are as follows:
Blue is +12V power in. Hot when in ACC and ON.
One of the blacks is connected to chassis ground.
The other black is the speaker (-) connection.
Black/Red wire is the speaker (+) connection.
Green/White is panel illumination high side. Goes to the headlight switch.
Red/Blue is panel illumination ground side. Goes to the rheostat.

So that's the CAR side of things.

Can you take a pic of the back of the Clarion that you are trying to install? You have some pics above, but they don't show all the wiring. The connector is tucked under the radio.

This is the Clarion connector I have cut. I had mapped the blue, green and red wires per above. There are only 5 wires out of radio. No solid black.

Only thing I was trying to clarify was the white and white/black wires and seems like I got the answer. Radio is mono and the white/black wire is ground for speaker or negative.

I had the two speakers installed and seems like I won’t get a stereo out of this radio. So the only way to use both speakers is either connect both to the white but that increases the load a lot. In fact even one speaker polk audio DB 522 I have is a 4ohm load and volume is low. 

thinking of using a amp with high input speaker connections in front like a Clarion XC2110.

IMG_9162.jpeg

Well assuming the radio came from an earlier year Z, (which is what the wire colors seem to indicate), the white and white/black pair are the two wires that fed the original (one and only) speaker. The white is speaker (+) and the white/blk is speaker (-).

There is no way to get "stereo" out of that radio. Ever.

You could get sound to come out of more than one speaker maybe, but it will never be stereo. In order to get sound to come out of more than one speaker, you would just put them in parallel, but you do need to be careful about the loading. The radio was designed to drive one 8 Ohm speaker, and it sounds like you are trying to drive two 4 Ohm speakers in parallel. If that's the case, that combo works out to a 2 Ohm load and the amp probably isn't going to appreciate that much.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Well assuming the radio came from an earlier year Z, (which is what the wire colors seem to indicate), the white and white/black pair are the two wires that fed the original (one and only) speaker. The white is speaker (+) and the white/blk is speaker (-).

There is no way to get "stereo" out of that radio. Ever.

You could get sound to come out of more than one speaker maybe, but it will never be stereo. In order to get sound to come out of more than one speaker, you would just put them in parallel, but you do need to be careful about the loading. The radio was designed to drive one 8 Ohm speaker, and it sounds like you are trying to drive two 4 Ohm speakers in parallel. If that's the case, that combo works out to a 2 Ohm load and the amp probably isn't going to appreciate that much.

I have ordered an 8ohm car speaker. Will report back the difference.