IGNORED

Quaife LSD Installation in R180 - With Questions About Installation Also

inline6

@Patcon - good plan. I’m documenting it on the UK site but I’ll start a different thread here and put the same info in. Different thread so as to not hijack the OP’s one and to have a separate one related to the R200.

Edited by AK260
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good call, but mine is more of a history of my car, not sure it’s ideal for searching on a specific topic I guess, hence my thoughts about a specific R200 / Quaife one here. But for now, here it is, starts on post 419, “The year of the Derrière”!!
https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/from-smoker-to-sssssmokin’.23533/page-21

Edited by AK260
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AK260 said:

Good call, but mine is more of a history of my car, not sure it’s ideal for searching on a specific topic I guess, hence my thoughts about a specific R200 / Quaife one here. But for now, here it is, starts on post 419, “The year of the Derrière”!!
https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/from-smoker-to-sssssmokin’.23533/page-21

I am always looking for something to read when the forum is slow!

I am always looking for something to read when the forum is slow!

I hear you - me too ;)

I should have initiated the thread way earlier in my ownership but it got started when I did the engine transplant.

It looks like this link might be behind a paywall...

Ah, sorry, didn’t realise :(

I’ll have a chat with our webmaster to see if it’s an error or if there’s a policy around certain content.
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AK260 said:

I hear you - me too 😉

I should have initiated the thread way earlier in my ownership but it got started when I did the engine transplant.

Ah, sorry, didn’t realise 😞

I’ll have a chat with our webmaster to see if it’s an error or if there’s a policy around certain content.

Only paid up members can see content in the members only area Ali.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This is an aside for those installing an LSD in their R180. It came to my attention that R180 ring gears were provided in 110 and 115 mm IDs in the US.

The KAAZ model DBN2020 LSD that I purchased was designed for the 115mm. I had to enlarge my 110 ring gear so it would fit on the KAAZ. It took me an hour to mount the ring gear perpendicular to the lathe axis and another hour to carve out about 5mm. The ring gear is incredibly hard steel. Lucky for me there was a knowledgeable machinist available to help me.  

• Like 3

The shims came in the mail on Saturday.  They fit like they were designed for the R180.  Though the OD is bigger than the original shim/washer, it is no larger the rear pinion bearing.  They appear to be high quality/strength steel, but I don't know if I can determine conclusively if they are suitable for this application @Captain Obvious.  Probably best to still make a shim out of suitable material.  

image.png

Previously, I had cut .001" shims by hand and stacked 8 of them.  This time, I rolled the dice with using 3 of these which are .005" each.  During assembly, I replaced the pilot bearing with a new one, and left out the front seal.  I torqued the pinion nut to about 100 ft lbs, and measured the turning resistance due to bearing preload at about 7-8 inch pounds (within specification).

I also swapped out the side retainer shims for new ones of the same respective thicknesses.  The old ones had a bit of rust/corrosion, so I felt it best to go with new ones.  Here are my results:

• With the side shims in their original locations (.3 mm or .0118" on the left side and .4 mm or .0157" and .5 mm or .0197" on the right), I measured backlash at .012".  
  • Moving the left shim to the right side flange, I measured backlash at .005" which is within the factory specification of .0039" to .0079"

That... is pretty exciting.  

Basically, each time I "push" the pinion gear closer to the ring gear with shims (a total of .015" so far) the backlash as been reduced.  Now, the question is, do I disassemble, and add more shims to space the pinion even closer to the ring gear, and move the one side shim back to the left, or do I go with no shim on the left and the .3 mm +.4 mm + .5 mm shims on the right. 

It shouldn't matter, right?  I mean, what if I add another .005" shim to the .015" thus far and get backlash that is still more than the .0079" max... and then when I swap the side shim from left to right I get less than .0039".  I kind of don't want to mess with it anymore.  

Edited by inline6