IGNORED

Dave W 1971/240Z rebuild

grannyknot

24 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

The guy that does my plating has done a lot of my stuff and he has figured that the less time in the hot acid the better the plastic comes out.

So I take him hardware that is near perfect so it only has to stay in the solution for a short time. The first batch we did the plastic looked like white chalk. 

I put mine in a pickel bath when I plate but not for very long and it's not heated. I haven't had any issues. But acids vary and his Ph might be really low.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grannyknot said:

The guy that does my plating has done a lot of my stuff and he has figured that the less time in the hot acid the better the plastic comes out.

So I take him hardware that is near perfect so it only has to stay in the solution for a short time. The first batch we did the plastic looked like white chalk. 

My hardware was nearly perfect and yes, the plastic parts came out like white chalk.  Thanks for info.  If I have more parts to have plated, I will pass along the recommendation to shorten the time in the hot acid.  

11 hours ago, Casey_z said:

The Fan clutch if it is not an aftermarket piece is rebuildable

Basically you split it clean it and replace the heavy weight oil in it

Yes, I read a thread in this forum about it, but that was a long, long way down the list at that point. Of course I don't move at "Granny speed".

• Haha 2

Lots of little stuff completed but not much worth taking a picture of.  I got the hood and the rear bumper on, tomorrow hoping to get the hatch weather striping in and the hatch on. I think I'll leave the front fenders off until the engine is running smoothly, otherwise I know it will get scratched.

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2944.JPG

• Like 1

When time permits, please explain your process for installing the hood (and bumpers) as a one-man job without damaging the paint.  These pix are deceptive b/c they make  it look easy (and I I know it isn't).

Also:  For everyone else, please take another look at GK's workspace.  It's really not very big.  The quality of his work deserves extra respect, given how challenging it can be to operate in a small space like that.  I'm still amazed by how he managed to paint the car in that little garage.  Too bad we don't have a video so that we could study how he managed the gun and the hose.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks John, with the hood, hatch and bumpers, masking tape and cardboard are your best tools to prevent scratches.  With the front fenders removed I cover the cowl area and sides of the engine bay with cardboard and tape it down.  Then with the front edge of hood resting on my waist and holding the sides I walk it forward and lay the hood in place.

Then I lift the front edge of the hood and put something on top of the engine, a small cardboard box works well, you just want to give yourself enough clearance to install the hood hinges and springs as one unit so the hinges are in the open position.  Now tape the top on the hinges for safety and pull the hood forward and install one bolt on each side of the hood to the top most hole of the hinges, once that is done you lift the hood up pivoting on those bolts and install the other two bolts and you're done.  Remove all the tape and cardboard and start preliminary alignment.

The bumpers are very similar, tape up the sides the fenders and quarter panels, make sure the bumper mounts are already installed on the car, get all your fasteners and wrenches laid out on the floor so they are easy to grab and ease the bumper into place, secure one nut in the centre section then move over to the far side of the bumper and secure it, once those two fasteners are on the bumper will sit there nicely so you can get to the rest of the fasteners.

Expect to install and remove the bumpers several times as you add washers to get the depth and alignment right.

I like to tape the weatherstrip in place on the car for at least 24hrs so it relaxes a bit and I don't have to fight the twists they acquire while folded up in the packing bags.

IMG_2951.JPGIMG_2952.JPGIMG_2953.JPGIMG_2954.JPGIMG_2955.JPG

It seems like the J hook for the battery hold down and rear P/S splash panel always go missing on these cars, I've got pretty quick at making up replacements I've had to do it so many times.

IMG_2945.JPGIMG_2946.JPGIMG_2949.JPG

• Like 2