IGNORED

Is it worth considering a used set of Panasport Formula wheels

Jeff Berk

Hi,

I really like the looks of Panasport wheels and I found a set on Craigs list but I'm not sure if its wise to purchase used aluminum wheels. Does anyone have any input? I would need to purchase new tires since my existing wheels are 15 inch. They will also need some cleaning up and new clear coat.

https://limaohio.craigslist.org/wto/d/findlay-panasport-formula/7615888664.html

Jeff

There was a big discussion on the UK site about some wheels not being tested for safety / rated.

Not sure if that applies to these wheels but do they have the test marks on the inside?

Would that even be a consideration in this case? Just good for thought.

If I do go with these wheels, are there grippy tires that will fit these rims suitable for Autocross? Nothing seems to come up on Tirerack in this size other than standard all season tires.

Racer X mentioned in a recent thread "Hoosier still makes tires, the Street TD, a DOT legal bias ply with tread that works very well in 225/50-14" but I'm having trouble locating these.

Currently the wheels have old 195 70R14 tires. The wheels are 14x6 and about 4" of backspacing. 

Should I try mounting a wheel on the front and/or rear to check the clearance before I buy to make sure there are no clearance issues?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Berk

I would have zero issues with used Panasports.  They are high quality wheels and will always be desireable if you decide to sell them someday.  That said, 14" tires are getting really hard to find, so I'd look at tires prior to buying the wheels.  If the date code on the tires in over 7 years old, consider them to be throw-aways.  Tires that are properly stored will last a bit longer, but 7 years is the accepted use-by age.

• Like 1

I put the purchase on hold while I follow Jeff G's advise and looked into what tires are available that would work for Autocross. From searching ClassicZcars' postings it found the following:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/falken-azenis-rt615k%2b/p/34264

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/falken-azenis-rt660/p/88519

Racer X identified a Hoosier tire that may work and several other tires showed up on discounttire's web site. 

I might go ahead with the purchase if I can scrape the $$$ together.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I ran the Falken RT-615K tires on my endurance racer 260Z for years and they were pretty good, though other tires are better.  The Falkens were the only option I had in 14".  I wouldn't think they would be great as an auto-X tire.