IGNORED

Adjusting float level on three screw SU's

emccallum

What is the easiest way to remove the float to check the level on 3 screw carbs? There is a machined ledge that the cap hits after removing the four screws. I circled the area in red in the photo.  I loosened the nut that holds the float chamber to the carb to give me enough room but I was just wondering if there is an easier way. Thanks

Screen Shot 2023-04-16 at 6.18.53 PM.png

Yes, the only way I was able to remove the lid was by loosening the float bowl from the carb. That gave me enough play to get the lid on/off.  Kind of a pain, as that nut isnt very accessible. Hoping there was a secret trick if I have to do it again.

3 hours ago, emccallum said:

I tried the twist and I guess my twist wasn't quite right.

It's like one of those bar puzzles. There IS a way to do it without applying significant force. I don't remember which direction you need to rotate the lid, but there IS a way to get the lids off without loosening the whole bowl or damaging anything.

That said... The REAL way to check the float level is done with the lids ON. Wet measurement with fuel in the bowl and a clear tube to see the level.

Take the screws completely out then with the lid still flat on the chamber turn it 90 degrees in the opposite direction of the vent bung. Then turn it just enough to get that indention before the screw hole under the nub under the dome. Once you figure it out it's easy. An "ah ha!" moment.

Turned 

20230417_064852.jpg

Indention lined up

20230417_064906.jpg

lift up when you can

20230417_064912.jpg

whala

20230417_064921.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Just realized your pic is a front carb. Mine are the rear. Things look a lot different. LOL

Thanks for the pics. That is just what I needed to know. The pic I posted was just one I got from online and it looks like someone "modified" that one. Mine actually look just like the pictures you posted. 

I turned it 90 degrees but didnt think try to get it in the notch. Makes sense now. It might be useful to glue the gasket to the lid.

Thanks!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This may sound crazy, but I have used the yellow 3M weatherstrip glue for gaskets. An old stock car engine builder showed me that a long time ago. That is all he uses. Works great to hold gaskets in place but work to remove later.