IGNORED

low oil pressure

Wally

9 minutes ago, Racer X said:

So far it looks good. The bearing shells show no wear. How do the journals look?

I should have taken images, but so far everything i saw looked great.

9 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Also, you can run your fingernail across the journal and bearing shell, to ensure there are no cuts or grooves.

funny you said that.  I did run my fingernail over everything i couldnt see any issues.

As for service manual i did look at it page EM-21. I will attach the page. I wasnt so much wanting anyone to do my homework for me as to confirm specs i guess. I am a little apprehensive about using only 1 source. For instance on image included it says foot lbs of bolts is 32.6 to 39.8. Yet other sources (http://www.kangamotorsports.com/datsun-torque-specifications) said for an 8mm bolt its 20-24. I do see the SM says bearing clearance .001 to .0022. Two of my measures are outside of that....so not really sure what that will mean, if i should try to do something about it etc.

Anyway thanks for the feedback

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 11.30.26 AM.png

38 minutes ago, Wally said:

long story short...my good torque that i used in past got broken. I did buy a click style one that was new. I have a digital one ordered..waiting on it. leaving off oil pan until it comes in so double check all tightenings and see if current torque wrench is off

Yes, but how do you know what the fasteners were torqued to? It can’t be accurately checked with a click type torque wrench, only with the types I referred to.

36 minutes ago, Wally said:

I should have taken images, but so far everything i saw looked great.

funny you said that.  I did run my fingernail over everything i couldnt see any issues.

As for service manual i did look at it page EM-21. I will attach the page. I wasnt so much wanting anyone to do my homework for me as to confirm specs i guess. I am a little apprehensive about using only 1 source. For instance on image included it says foot lbs of bolts is 32.6 to 39.8. Yet other sources (http://www.kangamotorsports.com/datsun-torque-specifications) said for an 8mm bolt its 20-24. I do see the SM says bearing clearance .001 to .0022. Two of my measures are outside of that....so not really sure what that will mean, if i should try to do something about it etc.

Anyway thanks for the feedback

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 11.30.26 AM.png

So yes, three of the readings you got were slightly out of range. Not enough to cause a dramatic change in oil pressure, but still of concern.

I believe you mentioned that the oil pressure was fine, but suddenly changed, is that correct?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Racer X said:

I believe you mentioned that the oil pressure was fine, but suddenly changed, is that correct?

No sir, i dont think it ever was right. I was thinking, at first, the gauge just wasnt working so it wasnt really registering much of anything for oil pressure. I swapped gauges out and it still wasnt doing anything but the temp gauge was working. Thats when i figured something else was wrong. i tried a couple diff. mechanical gauges. Idling around 1000rpm pressure was in low teens..i believe 12-13, but when i revved engine up pressure oddly went down to maybe 11.

I think I already wrote this but I would spend more time on being sure the pressure reading is correct.  If you get it back together without discovering the source of the problem.

The small passage that the gauge is ported in to could have flow disruptions that give erroneous readings.  If there is a constriction or  obstruction the fluid could have a low pressure point at the gauge port.  The fluid is moving.

If it was mine and I was unsure I probably would have tapped a hole in to an oil filter and stuck my gauge there, just to verify what the gauge port showed.  The filter is full of very slow moving oil.

• Like 1