IGNORED

smell of gas inside car

Wally

now i havent put the center console in yet but each time i drive the car, very short trip, i smell of gas.

Everything has been redone professionally. New carbs, headers, exhaust etc...

How likely is it its all b/c of the center console? I am thinking got to be more to 

it that just that.

If the consoles not in your chokes handle isn't secured, right?

My 1st 240 I didn't know any better and left the choke pulled back (nozzles down) all the time in my garage. Why stress the choke cables? :facepalm:

When they're down they are constantly refilling with fuel I figured out finally. About explotarded my garage apartment. LOL

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

If the consoles not in your chokes handle isn't secured, right?

My 1st 240 I didn't know any better and left the choke pulled back (nozzles down) all the time in my garage. Why stress the choke cables? :facepalm:

When they're down they are constantly refilling with fuel I figured out finally. About explotarded my garage apartment. LOL

This might be it. I am still working on the cables They are like new, long enough with some slack but the choke doesnt slide well at all. In fact the cable seems stuck a little meaning the 

choke handle wont fully release back in. 

Will explore this.

Since the console is not fully installed, it might be a good time to replace the cable itself.  You mentioned it appears to be in good repair, but swapping the metal cable out will allow you to hang both cable housings up and spray a lubricant with graphite through them to flush them out.  You'd be amazed how much gunk and loose residue accumulates in over half a century of use.  Below is a link to a suitable replacement for the stock wire and rebuilding instructions. 

https://woodworkerb.com/home/datsun-240z-rebuild/repair-choke-cable/

Also, take a look at the bottom of the page.  There's a paragraph on a sticky choke and smell of gas in the interior.  It sounds very similar to what you're experiencing.

Finally, consider mounting the choke level to the transmission tunnel instead on back on the console itself.  Time is not kind to plastic and it becomes brittle over the years.  The mounting plate will probably save you from cracking your console someday from pulling on the choke level a bit too enthusiastically.

image.png

6 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

Get that choke cable bracket. Its up there in the "must haves"....

That and a headlight relay.

have the headlight relay. that bracket says for 72-73 or series 2. Mine is kinda a series 1.5.... the console is a series 1. wondering if that will still work

as for graphite spray, something like this? https://www.amazon.com/DGF-GRAPHITE-Spray-Anticorrosive-Lubricant/dp/B08BPK68GP?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

only cables i see are used on ebay. Anyone have a source for new/refurb, ready to install cables?

IMG_4232.jpg

2 hours ago, kickstand80 said:

When you say "gas" do you mean gasoline or exhaust gas?

gas not exhaust. shifter boot is off. 

have cable out...hitting it with the graphite lubricant on ends...not really sure how to get it inside. Do i need to remove wires completely and reinsert into black plastic sleeves

Another possible solution is to purchase a cable luber that clamps on to cables at the end and allows you to use any aerosol type lubrication tin (and the included straw). They are around $10 - $15 and are commonly used on motorcycles (and bicycles). Google it. Just used a Motion Pro one to do the choke cables the other day. Slick and quick. Make a great stocking stuffer!

• Thanks 1