IGNORED

Side clearance lamp as a turn repeater

TomoHawk

Is it possible to get the front side clearance lamp to flash with the turn signals?  Since the Zed doesn't have wrap-around front lamps, like new cars have, there are places where on-coming cars can't see the flashing, when you are turning.

IMO, you could make the clearance lamp a dedicated flasher, or add a circuit board that flashes it when the front indicators are flashing, but otherwise on steady.

There used to be a guy who produced plug and play headlight kits that routed the main battery voltage to the headlights via a relay, improving the headlight performance.

He also made an upgrade harness (again, plug and play) that replaced the red and yellow side markers with a double filament bulb and socket, giving side marker turn signal functionality.

I have these front sidemarker upgrade connectors installed on my car and they work great - a super safety upgrade. Note they are only for the 240Z.

https://www.thezstore.com/product/6055/side-marker-conversion-plugs-70-73-240z

They work best if the OE thermal flasher cans for both the turn signal and hazards have been replaced with an eletro-mechanical flasher such as this:

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/turn-signal-hazard-warning-flasher/p/novita-turn-signal-hazard-warning-flasher-lf12/849392_0_0

Be sure to get a module that handles enough bulbs.

Edited by jfa.series1
  • Like 3

I wrote some stuff but see that there's a product already available.  I assume that the side markers don't light up anymore though when they're not flashing.  So, it's a tradeoff.

There's probably a way to get dual duty out of that single filament especially with today's microprocessor controlled lighting systems.

p.s. I'd guess that that also puts two more filaments on the turn signal fuse.  Looks like they just tapped in to the turn signal circuit, not certain.  Something to watch out for.

Edited by Zed Head

19 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I wrote some stuff but see that there's a product already available.  I assume that the side markers don't light up anymore though when they're not flashing.  So, it's a tradeoff.

There's probably a way to get dual duty out of that single filament especially with today's microprocessor controlled lighting systems.

p.s. I'd guess that that also puts two more filaments on the turn signal fuse.  Looks like they just tapped in to the turn signal circuit, not certain.  Something to watch out for.

The sidemarker works in a normal fashion when the turn signal is NOT engaged and flashes on/off when the turnsignal is in use.

I also have Dave Irwin's headlight relay kit and turnsignal relay kit installed. The above upgrade adds only one filament to the fuse load for either the left or right turn signal operation.

Edited by jfa.series1
  • Like 1

Edit - actually I just didn't dig in to any of this, I just got the impressions from looking at 280Z wiring.  If it works, it works.  Do they have a 280Z product?

Apparently not, see below.  So maybe the difference is in how the 240Z lights work, compared to 280Z.

https://www.thezstore.com/Category/733/marker-light-upgrades

Edited by Zed Head
+ i

So, since Tomohawk has a 280Z, the question is still unanswered.  I'll recycle one of the things I wrote earlier - it's probably possible, especially with today's microprocessor controlled lights.  You could just switch the power supply to the turn signal power but then you'd lose the ability to use the side markers as running lights.

15 hours ago, Pat Carr said:

Note that the sidemarker kit does not work if you have LED bulbs in your turn signals and/or side lights. Says so in the instructions that come with the kit, and I confirmed it. 

What if a resistor is placed inline with the bulb?

On 10/25/2022 at 1:41 PM, Zed Head said:

Edit - actually I just didn't dig in to any of this, I just got the impressions from looking at 280Z wiring.  If it works, it works.  Do they have a 280Z product?

Apparently not, see below.  So maybe the difference is in how the 240Z lights work, compared to 280Z.

https://www.thezstore.com/Category/733/marker-light-upgrades

I have a feeling that the manufacturer cant get plug and play connectors that the late 260z/280z use. I was never able to find any when i was making a engine harness. I resorted to using old motorcycle connectors (the same ones that 240z use) from vintageconnections.com

I think if you modify the harness, or splice enough connectors off a 280z in the junkyard to make your own harness it would work... There is a guide https://www.zcar.com/threads/turn-signal-side-lamp-flashing.77902/