IGNORED

Timing chain help

RMin280

36 minutes ago, RMin280 said:

Do I need to take everything apart to check the wear pattern or can I check with everything still together?

If you have the right tool you can pop each rocker out one at a time to inspect them. With whatever rocker you wish to remove, rotate the engine until that rocker’s cam lobe is at the base circle of the lobe. Then use the tool to depress the corresponding valve until the follower can be lifted out. Inspect, make notations, then reinstall the follower, taking care to not dislodge the lash pad.

The tool looks like this:

image.jpeg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RMin280 said:

Nevermind, I think I was able to find it. Is it a L series valve compressor? Would I also need to support the valve some way to prevent it from falling down or do the keepers stay in place?

You need to support the valve. You can do with compressed air or some rope pushed in through the spark plug hole.

• Like 1

You can see the wear pad without removing the rocker arm.  It's more difficult but a bright light and holding your head in the right place makes it possible.

They're facing up, right there under the cam lobes.  Worth taking a look before you get too deep in to things.

Actually you were looking at them when you were measuring valve lash.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 2

Slow down. You need to read up a lot more. You can remove a rocker with a big screwdriver  leaving the valve and spring in place. Pry the spring retainer down with the screwdriver against the cam. Move the rocker off the lash pad, remove the mouse trap spring and the rocker is free.

But like Zed Head says you can see the rocker pad by getting the lobe base just off the pad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, SteveJ said:

You need to support the valve. You can do with compressed air or some rope pushed in through the spark plug hole.

He isn't replacing stem seals, just wanted to have a look at the follower pads, so he doesn't want the valve to be restricted in movement.

57 minutes ago, RMin280 said:

B7AF287B-5CEA-4BBC-9D11-0EFCD601AF1F.jpeg

This is the best I can see. Not exactly sure what to look for or what it should look like. All the rockers look like they have similar wear although I didn’t measure anything, no damage that I noticed.

When was the last time you changed your oil? Looks dirty.