IGNORED

R200 CLSD Whining...

ollie

21 hours ago, ollie said:

IWE passed on it, so if you know of any others I'm keen to hear.  Thanks.

IWE passed it up? But their business slogan is “Rear Ends Only!”

There used to be a pretty active Datsun community in the greater Vancouver area. Maybe reach out to the SCCBC and see if someone in the club can connect you.

Edited by Racer X

A good contact in Vancouver area is Byron Meston. I know him personally. Although a dedicated 510 guy, he is well connected to the various Datsun communities in the area and is renown for his willingness to help those in need (as needy as all Datsun people seem to be!) 😉

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Circling back on this epic adventure...the guys who did the bearings did a poor job setting it up afterwards.  The next guy went at it and immediately noticed an incorrect bearing and set it up but the whine continued.  Long story short, it's quieter and works well but still whines from the ring and pinion.  The best he could get it was by sand blasting the ring and pinion and I put miles on it, and it is about 50% better than before.  I sort of like it now in a perverse way and it's here to stay regardless.  Apparently the sandblasting of the ring and pinion is an old gearhead method of setting up old noisy gears to squeeze a bit more life out of them. Anyway see how it goes.  

Edited by ollie

8 hours ago, ollie said:

Circling back on this epic adventure...the guys who did the bearings did a poor job setting it up afterwards.  The next guy went at it and immediately noticed an incorrect bearing and set it up but the whine continued.  Long story short, it's quieter and works well but still whines from the ring and pinion.  The best he could get it was by sand blasting the ring and pinion and I put miles on it, and it is about 50% better than before.  I sort of like it now in a perverse way and it's here to stay regardless.  Apparently the sandblasting of the ring and pinion is an old gearhead method of setting up old noisy gears to squeeze a bit more life out of them. Anyway see how it goes.  

Whining from a ring and pinion indicate the gear engagement isn’t correct. Did you see the wipe pattern after it was set?