IGNORED

280Z Steering Wheel

Av8ferg

After finally getting my car on the road and logging about 100 miles this week, I’m considering going a different direction with my steering wheel.   I don’t really want to go aftermarket but I can be convinced otherwise. 
Right now I have a nicely restored 240z “wood” composite steering wheel.  It looks awesome.  Here is what I don’t like.  The grip diameter is small and a bit slippery.  I know this was how they’re supposed fo be.  I think 14” would be better, and I like leather feel.  I also think it’s a little too big in overall diameter at 15”.  So doing my research I see a few options and keep in mind that I don’t have the skills or fancy tools like Captain Obvious who probably installed airbags in his Z32 steering wheel modification.  
Options:

1. Have my stock 280Z wheels sent off for refurbishment and wrapped in leather - quote was $360

2. Buy an aftermarket one like MSAs or a Momo type,  (my least favorite option) ~ $260

3.  Buy the Zcardepot competition wheel that looks stock but just about an inch smaller (leaning this direction)

4. One I haven’t discovered 

Finally, I have three 240z composite steering wheels.  Not the series one with open holes in spokes.  
I’d be will to make a trade for someone in the market for one of these.  

- one is totally restored and looks new

-one is original but in great condition (bought it from a z collector in Montana on a work trip)

-one needs restoration (pulled from salvage yard)

see pics

F551F595-D3D0-4830-9753-BAE737098A57.jpeg

096E6EF0-D59B-45B5-99A1-3040D0936921.jpeg

B4BA8C97-BC74-4E1C-91A0-BC7A574D44CE.jpeg

I put the "wood" PXL_20210926_195854735.thumb.jpg.0d213aa421260b6d98e07c5d26a9c33c.jpgsteering wheel on my 260z but it was too thin for my tastes. I purchased an old Nissan wheel with heavily deteriorated foam covering and made a black walnut steering wheel out of it.  

Wow…way outside my skill level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i wanted a really fat wheel for my aging arthritic fingers.  I cut down to the metal core, then encased in successively larger layers of heater hose, and finally wrapped in a custom Wheelskin.

20220512_154155.thumb.jpg.9d6184fea50c90d01177aac338f005e4.jpg

Shak hands. You must have played for the NBA in another life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferg, I refurbed a 240Z steering wheel because I liked the way it looks. But like you, I don’t care much for how thin it is. I bought a “Compe” wheel from a guy in Japan (I’m guessing it’s the same as what ZCarDepot sells) and like it way more. It looks good, the horn works, and I have not found it necessary to bend the turn signal lever to keep from accidentally hitting it while driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

5 hours ago, Jeff Berk said:

I put the "wood"

me too... I see that you made it exactly like me! ( in 2007)  was i your inspiration or...?

zx7.jpg

exactly same system, 6 on front parts and 6 on the rear, i made the front parts over the steel inner ring.. the rear parts are massive. (mahogany wood)

I also did this because of my big hands.. i had no fun with the tiny orig. 240z wheel.. (iirc, i had this "making of a steeringwheel"explaned somewhere on this site i believe.. 🤔

5 hours ago, pogden said:

Ferg, I refurbed a 240Z steering wheel because I liked the way it looks. But like you, I don’t care much for how thin it is. I bought a “Compe” wheel from a guy in Japan (I’m guessing it’s the same as what ZCarDepot sells) and like it way more. It looks good, the horn works, and I have not found it necessary to bend the turn signal lever to keep from accidentally hitting it while driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, the only issue  I have is I think those competitions wheels aren’t leather covered, they’re the rubber I think.   Is yours rubber and do you like that feel?  

13 hours ago, Jeff Berk said:

I put the "wood" PXL_20210926_195854735.jpgsteering wheel on my 260z but it was too thin for my tastes. I purchased an old Nissan wheel with heavily deteriorated foam covering and made a black walnut steering wheel out of it.  

There is a guy on Ratsun, who lives in Texas, that has made a few wood rims for steering wheels. It is a fairly straightforward process. Make a circular jig for a router, select a nice cut of wood, rout the two halves, glue them onto the rim, and finish the wood. 

One he laminated several different types of wood stained different colors. It looks awesome. He even made a matching shift knob.

Check it out here: https://ratsun.net/topic/78921-diy-steering-wheels/#comment-1700673

Edited by Racer X

20 hours ago, Racer X said:

glue them onto the rim,

Use 2 component glue between the steel and the wood.. and .. use some professional wood glue between the wood. think that's the best way.

20 hours ago, Racer X said:

He even made a matching shift knob.

That's what i did TO!!  (Also out of mahogany!) :beer:  (They are in my 240z now for 15 years and working perfect.)

• Like 1