IGNORED

AMCO Front Bumper Bar for '71 240Z

Robert Bohl

Please, does anyone have instructions for attaching the '71 vintage AMCO front bumper bar to a 240Z?  So far I've seen bars mounted on top of the rubber (vertically mounted) over rider strips.  In this case is the embedded top bolt removed from the top of the rubber strip?  I've also seen where a bottom portion of the rubber strip is removed so that the bumper bar would sit directly on the metal over rider, using the top bolt hole in the over rider to mount the bar.  I believe that the fitment is critical so that the bar appears parallel to the road.  I've seen a installation diagram for a '73 bar, but it's different from what I have.

Edited by Robert Bohl
misspelling

12 hours ago, Robert Bohl said:

does anyone have instructions for attaching the '71 vintage AMCO front bumper bar

I've seen some different ways of putting it on a 240z,  the best way....

Is to take off those weights called overriders, and put them on the garage wall and stick that front bar to them.. that way your 240z looks much better and weighs a lot less and...  is FASTER! :beer:

(I'm just kidding.. you make your car look like you want.. for me.. all that junk on the bumpers is only weight to carry around and it surves nothing.. sorry!! :pow: )

• Like 1

The bar is going on the car or my wife will kill me.  I find it strange that although many of this AMCO accessory were sold, no one (including me) has the instructions.  I did find a guide for a 1973, but the bar is quite different from the '71-'72 version, and it sits higher on the over riders.  The bar did serve a function (at least theoretically) as it kept car-parkers from backing over the hood. In "71 I lived in NYC and street parking was my only option.  As it turned out, the hood was smashed so many times that it could no longer be fixed, so now I have a '78 hood on the car. 😐

I have the AMCO front and rear bars which I bought used, years ago.  At one time, I was thinking of mounting them, but they will go separately with 27th if and when I sell her.  I actually have a bunch of AMCO stuff.  Attached ad for the Z.  I'm also attaching the 1972 Datsun options brochure for comparison.   The interior luggage bar is going in 26th.

My thoughts about the bumper bars are like those of front spoilers; just another thing out there to get bent.  The AMCO bars really don't protect anything and will damage the bumper itself when it gets hit.  They DO look great, though, that 'touring luxury' sort of look.

Every installation of the front bar that I have seen is over the rubber strip with chromed, slotted cap screws with a nut and washer inside.  I guess, that if you use the hole in the upright for the top flange bar mount, you would have to take the screw out of the rubber strip.  You're going to have to drill the upright for the lower flange anyhow.

Last, but not least, I have a proper hood that I would sell if you're interested.

AmcoAd-240Z.jpg

72Broc1.jpg

72Broc2.jpg

72Broc3.jpg

72Broc4.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks to 26th-Z and dutchzcarguy for the install information; it's very helpful.  I have copies of the AMCO catalog but the photo wasn't clear enough to see how the bar was attached.  I think I'll stick with the "78 hood as it's been on the car since '78, and I the vents may help a little with keeping the engine cool.  BTW, I'm the original owner of the car and I have every piece of paper relating to the car, except the AMCO instructions.  It figures.

• Like 1

I totally agree with everything that 26th commented about the durability and lack of 

protection this front overrider bar provides.   Here is a picture of my car when new with the 

addition of this bar, installed by the selling dealership.

Dan

5687FBCB-6DE1-4F6D-837C-94F00CD2C60E.jpeg

Edited by AZ-240z
  • Like 1