IGNORED

production number for 1969

kats

Yeah I know some clutse has five thumbs.

Gav,

thanks for the info I had no idea that the early series export model HS30 did not get sold here until mid 1970.

I have seen a single serial HS30 in SYD in the mid 90s but the history was not traceable and the condition was not good either.

This guy must have a good story to advertise it fo sale as what he is saying. Someone in Melbourne needs to see the car and check the documentation. I wish I was in Melb so I could go round and get some pics of it.

Thanks again Gav.

cheers

Steve

:classic:

I get it someone in Melbourne now who would that be LOL.

Depending if I get time I might check it out, I was alerted to the fact that there was no 69 mdl 240z's in Australia officially imported by another member in this forum, and it's a common misconception by us Ozzies that we got ones before 1970.

I've heard it in a number of places.

The number 4 car was used to test drives by the press for the release of the car back in 1970 and was in the possession of lindsy drife last time I saw the car nice car indeed.

http://www.zspares.com.au I think is his website.

:D

Looks to be down at the moment.

Originally posted by sjcurtis

Yeah I know some clutse has five thumbs.

Gav,

....snipped..cjb.......

This guy must have a good story to advertise it fo sale as what he is saying. Someone in Melbourne needs to see the car and check the documentation. I wish I was in Melb so I could go round and get some pics of it.

Thanks again Gav.

-- - - -End Quote - --

Hi Gav.

Hi Gang:

The key to establishing the build date on the Right Hand Drive 240-Z's is their original engine serial number. One can not build a car before it's engine is produced. Nissan only had one L24 production line. The engine serial numbers are - well - serial.

If you get the original engine serial number from HS30 00090 off the engine data plate - don't take it off the engine as one never knows if it's been changed - I'll bet it's something close to L24 07xxx or L24 08xxx. If so that would give it a date of manufacture of 07/ or 08/70.

For example we know that HS30 00131 had engine serial number L24-015467 - which would put it in the 10/70 build date area. That compares to the US model

HLS30 10908 - with L24 014145 which has a build date of 10/70.

According to Nissan Australia 319 Z's were produced in 1970 - which were exported to Australia. So far that would seem to be supported by our records.

The HS series - Late Model 1971 240-Z's (what we call Series II ) VIN started at HS30 00500 - at this point it looks like they were produced from 02/71 forward.

HS30 00501 has L24-027759 - which would put it right in the 02/71 Build Date range.

If you (or anyone) would like to add to our data base - send me the VIN/Original Engine Serial Number from the data tag in the engine compartment - and owner info for your HS30 series Z. Likewise the same info from your HLS30 Series Z plus the Date of Manufacture from the data tag on the Drivers Door Jam.

e-mail it to: beck@becksystems.com

FWIW,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater,FL USA

http://Zhome.com

Originally posted by Gav240z

I get it someone in Melbourne now who would that be LOL.

Depending if I get time I might check it out, I was alerted to the fact that there was no 69 mdl 240z's in Australia officially imported by another member in this forum, and it's a common misconception by us Ozzies that we got ones before 1970.

I've heard it in a number of places.

The number 4 car was used to test drives by the press for the release of the car back in 1970 and was in the possession of lindsy drife last time I saw the car nice car indeed.

Hi Gav240z (everyone)

The last time I heard from the owner of HS30 00004 it was Harry Corbett - that was: 2/21/99 - If ownership has changed I'd like to up-date our records. Also "AutoSpeed" had a write-up on the car (or another low VIN) as I recall - in which they refered to it as a 1969 Datsun 240-Z. I wrote the editors and ask them to help us correct that misunderstanding.

Mr. Corbett also agreed that the car most likely didn't reach Australia untill around May of 1970 and that it most likely had a build date of late 01 or 02 1970.

If you get a chance to look at HS30 00090 please let me know what the original engine serial number is. Or if the seller has an e-mail address it would be good to have that.

thanks,

Carl

Carl Beck

Clearwater,FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Hi, everyone

I have forgotten to attach this "1970 production number".

I am sorry this photo is not great quality also.

My 240Z is HLS30-02156,dated march/1970 on the plaque.

I count numbers using these data from 1969-1970,I can see my 240Z is roughly made in the early march 1970.

Let me say a little what I got from Mr.MATSUO recently.

A wheel cap for earliest S30 was based on SKYLINE(C10)'s one.You know export one got "D" on center,while japanese one got silver hexagonal mark.Mr.Matsuo said this is a result of "reducing cost"which were notorious syndrome inside of NISSAN in those 1960's.SKYLINE(C10) was not exported, so most of people out side of JAPAN do not know what it looks like.Yes,I can say they are almost same design.

Notorious "reducing cost" effected many other parts of S30.

About front radiator grill,the one which is put for exported model

is what Mr.MATSUO wanted to design.Not japanese mesh one.

But actual production grill is a little bit different from Mr.MATSUO'S original intended design.He wanted to extend a grill below a front bumper.Can you see what I am trying to say?

When I saw a 240Z first(maby fairlady also)I thought something uneasy about front grill because it was seen only avove front bumper.I think there must be a lot of people who think same

as me.

Mr.MATSUO said, "My boss said under portion of grill below a front bumper can not be seen,we reduce cost,so cut them half!!"

See you soon,

kats

post-3193-14150792812286_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by kats

Hi, everyone

I have forgotten to attach this "1970 production number".

I am sorry this photo is not great quality also.

My 240Z is HLS30-02156,dated march/1970 on the plaque.

I count numbers using these data from 1969-1970,I can see my 240Z is roughly made in the early march 1970.

Let me say a little what I got from Mr.MATSUO recently.

A wheel cap for earliest S30 was based on SKYLINE(C10)'s one.You know export one got "D" on center,while japanese one got silver hexagonal mark.Mr.Matsuo said this is a result of "reducing cost"which were notorious syndrome inside of NISSAN in those 1960's.SKYLINE(C10) was not exported, so most of people out side of JAPAN do not know what it looks like.Yes,I can say they are almost same design.

Notorious "reducing cost" effected many other parts of S30.

About front radiator grill,the one which is put for exported model

is what Mr.MATSUO wanted to design.Not japanese mesh one.

But actual production grill is a little bit different from Mr.MATSUO'S original intended design.He wanted to extend a grill below a front bumper.Can you see what I am trying to say?

When I saw a 240Z first(maby fairlady also)I thought something uneasy about front grill because it was seen only avove front bumper.I think there must be a lot of people who think same

as me.

Mr.MATSUO said, "My boss said under portion of grill below a front bumper can not be seen,we reduce cost,so cut them half!!"

See you soon,

kats

Hi Kats yes I agree the grille on the Z is a bit strange, Personally I prefer the Mesh grille to the bar type.

Some people have extended the grille themselves with a bit of welding and creativity.

Originally posted by Gav240z

Hi Gav/Carl,

Just to clear up a mis-conception.

004 was on display for sale at Zed Spares [Hi Lindsey & Trent ]!

It was at that time I believe, still in possession [owned] by/of the Corbett family, Harry's son Trent had custody of 004.

It was officially on the market and I believe it was sold back to Japan, don't however quote me on this as it's un-substantiated.

I will try to get over to see Lindsey soon [get the stubbies in the fridge if you're reading this, LD]

and I'll post more info for you.

Diamond-shaped mesh in a square-tube frame.

This grille was fitted to most of the Japanese domestic-market models. You might sometimes hear it referred to as the "432" grille, but that's not strictly accurate as the 432 got the same grille as the Fairlady Z and Fairlady Z-L. It was the 432-R grille that was slightly different.

Not a particularly clear scan, but its an "official" Nissan side-by-side comparison and it might help:

Alan T.

post-2116-14150792841979_thumb.jpg

Just a side track,

I have just viewed the attachment supplied by ( HS30H )a front on view of S30 diamond mesh grill on the right and along side on the left hand side is a clearly marked representation of the HS30 grill. For my 2c is the reference data primary (OEM documentation or secondary (Non OEM), as the picture clearly shows wing mirrors on the HS30 picture.

This would represent proof that this is correct fitment for the HS30, maybe not in all but in some markets ( Hong Kong and Singapore or Malaysia maybe). At least it provides leverage on the local registration people here if it is primary documentation.

just curious.

cheers

Steve :classic: