IGNORED

Cleaning Western Wheels

Bill Scott

Hi all!

I have these on my 240 and was hoping for some advice on cleaning these wheels.  I would hate to ruin them by using the wrong cleaner.  Some say Simple Green, others say a harsher chemical.  Some say steel wool.  Any advise is appreciated!

Thanks!!

Bill

WesternWheelsCleaning.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought a product called SHARKHIDE several years ago with the intent to clean many aluminum Datsun things like wheels and valve covers. Finally got around to trying it today. 

THIS SHEITE IS DA’ BOMB! 

I have a set of lovely original D-slot mags on a 71 that I’m restoring, and this stuff took them from grim to perfect in the fastest easiest way I’ve ever imagined. This stuff is seriously bad for you, the instructions have scared me away from even trying it until today, but damn, it does what it says it will do. Just ragged it on, scrubbed the grime with same gray scotchbrite scrub pads then rinsed it off. 15 min per wheel tops. Obviously you have to the clear coat off first, not sure these ever had any. 

At the time I bought it, 10 years I think, it was only available thru boating companies, no retailer would ship it, so I picked up a bottle in Salmon Arm BC on the way back to Calgary on vacation that year. Now I see it on Amazon of course. I’d buy it from sharkhidestore.com, it’s $29.95 a quoart vs $97 on amazon, big surprise. 

If you want serious power, this stuff is what you want. Just be dang careful with it.

IMG_7174.jpeg

IMG_7175.jpeg

IMG_7176.jpeg

Edited by zKars
  • Like 3

"Acid solution containing Hydrofluoric acid, Sulfuric acid, and Nonylphenoxy Ethoxy Ethanol
Have a 0.13% solution of zepharin chloride solution on hand"

Yikes.   :blink:

For those who don't know anything about hydrofluoric... If I remember correctly, the zepharin chloride is an emergency measure to give it a calcium target that it likes better than the calcium in your body. Like your bones.

Classic tradeoff between safety and effectiveness. That stuff probably works great.

• Like 1
  • Wow 3

14 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

"Acid solution containing Hydrofluoric acid, Sulfuric acid, and Nonylphenoxy Ethoxy Ethanol
Have a 0.13% solution of zepharin chloride solution on hand"

Yikes.   :blink:

For those who don't know anything about hydrofluoric... If I remember correctly, the zepharin chloride is an emergency measure to give it a calcium target that it likes better than the calcium in your body. Like your bones.

Classic tradeoff between safety and effectiveness. That stuff probably works great.

Yes but your paint, decals, carpet, bunk, rubber and wiring will be just fine. Love the label.

• Haha 1