IGNORED

280z U-joints

ennisdavis

I clicked on that link:

New R200 driveshaft to rear differential flange. This has 10mm bolt holes. The bolt hole spacing measures 1.9" and 2.25" center to center for bolt holes. This yoke flange can be used on Datsun Z cars 1970-83 with R200 rear differential. This flange has 10mm holes.

240z, 260z and early 240z use the R180 rearend. This is why 280z driveshafts wont fit 240, 260 and early 280's. The bolt pattern is different. If it fits that means someone changed it to the R200

The R180 and R200 size and patterns are the same.  This was all covered in your other thread.  The very early 240Z's had a shorter propeller shaft.  And the 2+2's have a longer propeller shaft.  But the front end and rear end of the propeller shafts fit the same way from 1971 to 1978 for Z car coupes.  Except for the 1975 year.  1975 is an oddball year.

Not really clear why you're having a unique problem.  Are you trying to save money or just can't find something that fits?  Are your u-joints even bad?  They're pretty durable and don't often need replacing.

Yes, Z Car Depot's ad copy is misleading.  I would not trust it.  I posted the link so you could see a source for parts.

7 hours ago, ennisdavis said:

Notice that 1. no one shares pictures of the job they claimed to have done

58 minutes ago, ennisdavis said:

Zed. You are full of it! I have a stack of 240 drive shafts and the flange pattern is smaller for sure. Youre wrong!

Good luck man.  You seem to enjoy claiming that people are wrong even when surrounded by evidence that they are right.  Hard to understand.

I have had four separate propeller shafts in my possession, two short ones from early 240Z's, a 1976 280Z 4 speed, and a 1978 280Z 5 speed, and five differentials, all R200s, and several transmissions, three 5 speeds (1978, 1981, 1983) and a 4 speed (1976).  I always try my spare parts out for fit and function and all of the propeller shafts fit the diffs and the transmissions exactly the same.  They were all swappable.  The flange was shaped differently on some of the diffs, and the 240Z yokes were smaller in form, but the bolt pattern and bolt sizes were the same.  Even the nuts and bolts are the same.

The 75 280Z diff flange is unique.  Not sure why.  If I had to make a WAG (and I do since you don't post pictures or measurements or any details of your claims) and guess why you're having so much trouble, I'd say that you have a 1975 differential.  But that's just a guess.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Agree 1

Here is more about the oddball 1975 flange.  I'm not so sure this guy's thoughts about the ZX diffs are correct, I've never heard of anyone finding a 280ZX diff without the typical DAT-110 pattern.  The 300ZX diffs are definitely different though.  But, he does have dimensions shown, and 1975 ID'ed as the center flange.

I have had a square flange and a round flange on two diffs from 1976 and 1978 that had the same DAT-110 bolt pattern.  So you can't go by shape of the flange.  You have to take the measurements.

https://jagsthatrun.com/collections/datsun-z-parts/products/adaptor-flange-for-datsun-z-v8

• Agree 1

Your best bet is to have one made for you from MSA or a drive shaft shop. The replacement units come with spicer ujoints that are replaceable if needed in the future. Going to cost around $300 to $400 dollars. 

What would they make?  If the 240Z shafts don't fit then he can't just say "make me a 280Z propeller shaft".  He said he had a stack of 240Z shafts that have small flanges, whatever that means.  If they don't fit then a 280Z shaft won't fit either.

The reason the drive shaft shops won't replace the u-joints is probably for liability reasons.  Nissan says that they are not repairable.

6 hours ago, ennisdavis said:

Zed. You are full of it! I have a stack of 240 drive shafts and the flange pattern is smaller for sure. Youre wrong!

• Agree 1

Zed, i agree with you on that zx info, its jacked up. I have a 79 driveshaft from my brothers car, way different. So if i ordered an off the shelf driveshaft like a domans for a 75 car iam 99% sure it would be wrong. Hard to believe 75 had a one year part but i guess its possible.

Edited by ennisdavis