IGNORED

280z U-joints

ennisdavis

I have been reading posts and videos claiming the u-joints can ve replaced using the rockford 430-10 ujoint. Fact is it CANT be replaced. The 430 had a lock of 1.4", yolk on a 280z is 1.6", its too big. No one makes a ujoint that matches. Some post said a guy used a place in portland that did it for $100. I called the shop and they said it cant be done. Lesson: dont believe what you read in the internet.

1 minute ago, ennisdavis said:

The lock point is too small.

1 hour ago, ennisdavis said:

The 430 had a lock of 1.4", yolk on a 280z is 1.6", its too big.

Not really clear what you're talking about when you say lock or lock point.  Sounds like you're saying that the snap ring grooves of the u-joint don't match the inner surface of the yoke. so the u-joint is not centered properly.

It would help your argument a lot if you had a picture of you taking a measurement.  Not clear where you're getting your information from.  John from Lugoff probably would have noticed a 1/10th of an inch gap on each side (huge), but maybe not.

http://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/NEA-1-0430.html

Yes, 1/10 off each side. You are good at math, they are not. Thats huge, almost an 1/8 of an inch each side. The flats on the yolk are too wide (1.6) for the 1.4 u-joint. Notice that 1. no one shares pictures of the job they claimed to have done and 2. there is no shop that rebuilds them. If its a 30 minute $100 job were are the shops that do it. I have called a few dozen across the nation and NONE will do it. Another HUGE problem is the way the yoke is cast. Its made for an outer clip not inner. Inner clip yokes have have a flat area for the clip. The 280Z yoke area is tapered, cant be used for inner clips.

I also dont believe a 260z driveshaft will fit a 280z. People have said that but when I ask for flange mounting dimensions they all come back with the smaller 240z style.

4 hours ago, ennisdavis said:

Notice that 1. no one shares pictures of the job they claimed to have done and

Another HUGE problem is the way the yoke is cast. Its made for an outer clip not inner. Inner clip yokes have have a flat area for the clip. The 280Z yoke area is tapered, cant be used for inner clips.

A picture would be good here...

Here are a couple of videos I found from a guy who does some good professional electrical diagnostic work on his channel.  On the mechanicals though, he seems not so capable.  He goes through all of the basics though.