IGNORED

240z 73' Petronix Ignitor and Flamethrower Issues

paulreverex

Hello,

I bought a Pertonix ignitor 1 and Flamethrower 1 and I am having trouble getting my car to start and have the Tachometer work. I have heard that I don't need my balast resistor and I can splice several of the wires together but I don't remember which ones. In addition I believe I have more wires than I need? Right now I have 1 black, 1 black with white stripe and 1 green with white strike wire not connected to anything? I am sure that is wrong? I have followed the in box pertonix directions. My set up is black wire and red (to the Ignitor) on the Positive side of the coil, on the negative I just have the black to the Ignitor.

Thank you very much for your time and help

IMG_8217.jpg

IMG_8218.jpg

IMG_8219.jpg

On 1/31/2022 at 12:59 AM, paulreverex said:

bought a Pertonix ignitor 1 and Flamethrower 1 and I am having trouble getting my car to start and have the Tachometer work.

Are you saying that it won't start?  Or that it starts but the tachometer doesn't work?  Did it work with points?

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Are you saying that it won't start?  Or that it starts but the tachometer doesn't work?  Did it work with points?

I'm hoping he watches the video because I show how it should be wired. If it's wired correctly, then we can proceed with diagnostics.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 2:59 AM, paulreverex said:

I bought a Pertonix ignitor 1 and Flamethrower 1 and I am having trouble getting my car to start and have the Tachometer work. I have heard that I don't need my ballast resistor and I can splice several of the wires together but I don't remember which ones.

If you purchased the 1.5 ohm or the 3 ohm coil will determine if you use the ballast resistor.

The rest is pretty straight forward. My tach works just fine.

I just installed my Pertronix Ignitor II and Flame Thrower II.  I'm not sure of the differences, but this is how I wired it.  It eliminated the ballast resistor.  I got the information from the video @SteveJ posted above and then updated a diagram previously posted on this site.  I hope it helps.

My tach does work.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 9.17.22 PM.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to make you feel bad but it's probably the same distributor that you can get from Rockauto.  He probably sends some cores in to have them rebuilt then resells them with a big markup.

Can't believe what he's charging for those.  Wow.  Looks like he does add a cap and rotor and mounting pedestal.  That's the advantage of collecting those old parts.  He has the market cornered, you can't find them in the wrecking yards anymore.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1981,280zx,2.8l+l6,1209338,ignition,distributor,7108

https://www.californiadatsun.com/distributors-and-parts/datsun-240z-280z-e12-80-rebuilt-electronic-distributor.html?highlight=WyJkaXN0cmlidXRvciJd

Somebody was selling new base plates that would let you use a ZX distributor on any pedestal.  Can't remember who.  He should be advertising the crap out of them now.  Rockauto or Oreilly Auto plus one of those.  Good deal.

Sorry to pile on.  I bought a new AFM for my car right after I got it and probably could have made my old one work.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/remanufactured/ignition---tune-up/distributor/8c7c95368caf/cardone-distributor-remanufactured/a1c0/31619/v/a/6640/automotive-car-1981-nissan-280zx?q=distributor&pos=0

Edited by Zed Head
+made

On 3/7/2022 at 3:42 PM, Zed Head said:

Somebody was selling new base plates that would let you use a ZX distributor on any pedestal.  Can't remember who.  He should be advertising the crap out of them now.  Rockauto or Oreilly Auto plus one of those.  Good deal.

Sorry to pile on.  I bought a new AFM for my car right after I got it and probably could have made my old one work.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/remanufactured/ignition---tune-up/distributor/8c7c95368caf/cardone-distributor-remanufactured/a1c0/31619/v/a/6640/automotive-car-1981-nissan-280zx?q=distributor&pos=0

That new base plate was made by @zKars