IGNORED

Part Prices Discussion

inline6

like in the case of my interior mirrors - how many years, not kidding here, will it take to reach scale given the TINY market I serve. 

Wait! You have repro interior mirrors? Where do I find them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coincidentally I was exposed to yet another wrinkle in the Datsun/Nissan parts story just this afternoon. I've been doing business with the same crew at my local Nissan dealer for more than 30 years. Recently one of the old gang left after almost 30 years and was replaced by a young chap. When I called with a small order the young blood answered the phone. About 95% of the time I have current part #s but in this case I didn't.  After telling him what parts I wanted the first question he had for me was "what are the last 8 digits of the VIN"? I told him that the VIN for the 7/71 240 in my shop didn't have 8 digits!  He told me that he couldn't help me as his system didn't go back any further than 1985. I politely asked for one of the other chaps who chuckled and took my order. Luckily for me all of the guys there are 12-15 years younger than me so when I'm gone they'll be  looking hard at retirement - but what about the future of available Nissan parts? 

Many thanks to all who complemented me on my reproduction Ever Wing mirrors. I just hope that I have a similar level of interest for my reproduction - made in the USA - 280 valve cover breather hoses. Manufacturer had a good size minimum order!

IMG_2848.JPG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KenFirch said:

Wait! You have repro interior mirrors? Where do I find them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha!!!  And here is another point that I would like to add to this discussion.  I knew about the repro mirrors.  I absolutely intend on buying one within the next 4-8 months.  Getting back to this another point, however...  Who else who would like to have one, but doesn't know they are available?  If everyone who would like to have one knew of their availability, and could raise their hands to identify them as such, would the decision to invest in reproducing them have been easier?  Would the cost of them come down? 

I contend that the efficiency of the market isn't what it should be.  Pricing is too varied.  And information is more imperfect than it should be.  At this point in the history of the internet, it should be far easier to find out what is available, and to determine what is a good price for it.  

Edited by inline6