IGNORED

Cleaning the engine bay (77 280z Auto)

MH77280Z

Guys, i bought a 77 Auto over a year ago and car was sitting for 3-5 years. It does need a wash!!!

I stumbled upon somewhere in the manual that says do not steam clean the engine. Is anyone aware of this? I am not able to find that again.

Right now I am just planning to use some good of the shelf solvent and wash normally. Is there something I need to be careful about and prevent water to it?

Appreciate some input.

Those are good posts.  I was going to say "every electrical connection".  Be prepared to replace the injector connectors if you haven't already.  There are much better out there, available at any wrecking yard from Chevys, Volvos, BMW,s etc.  

• Like 1

I would recommend you stay away from cleaning with any kind of flowing water, If you must clean just use a damp cloth with some warm soapy  water and wipe down where you want to clean. The engine does not care to be clean, except if you plan to open something up and there is a dirt that could get  the engine internals. I hose down areas like that with brake clean. It dries quickly and cuts grease and oil. Use it liberally and you can just let he dirt wash off. 

Edited by Dave WM

6 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Brake cleaner? That's pretty strong stuff. I like the "low and slow" approach like barbecue. LOL

works great I use it all the time with no issues, super clean, nice when looking for oil leaks etc as well. Main point is water is not good as it can promote corosion if not dried well. Its easy to over love an engine by thinking it needs to be all shiny, inside is what matters, this is for the OP as far as engine cleaning goes.

Edited by Dave WM

1 minute ago, mailnome said:

Yes. Some, or most, brake clean sprays are pretty wicked. They will remove cheaper paints, and stain others along and maybe worse on plastics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guess I must be the exception here, never had that problem.

Brake parts cleaner used to be chlorinated solvents.  Today's common ones are petrochemicals.  Might explain the difference.

https://www.berrymanproducts.com/chlorinated-vs-non-chlorinated-brake-cleaner/#:~:text=Berryman Chlorinated Brake Parts Cleaner,best cleaning for brake parts.

Edited by Zed Head

I use lots of brake clean. I buy ot by the case. I have found it can remove some paints but that's pretty rare. It can also hurt some plastics.

Now dont confuse that with carb cleaner!! I have found carb cleaner to be super aggressive at damaging paints and plastic

• Agree 1