IGNORED

SU Carb Choke Cable Adjustment

Hi all,  Does anyone have good step-by-step instructions for adjusting the Choke Cables on SUs?   I'm having a hard time finding an adjustment wherein a) the Nozzle comes down with Choke on,  and b) the idle is reasonable (~ 900) with choke off and engine warm.

Thanks!!

• 3 months later...

Hey @Jughead

This is kind of old but I am just now reading it so I thought I would respond. I have never really thought about how I do this in steps but here is my best shot from memory. Also, I assume you are asking about pre-1973 round top carbs.

1) Make sure your nozzles open and close freely. Once verified, fully close the nozzles.

2) Make sure cable wires are straight and not bent / kinked.

3) Move choke lever inside car to off position.

4) feed cable wires through clamp holes on carbs. Don't tighten yet.

5) Tighten base of cable sheath to carb.

6) Tighten cable wire clamps.

7) Test that when you engage choke the nozzles open up. Reach down under the carbs and feel the gap open up as the nozzles move down.

8 Test that when you move the choke off the nozzles close.

9) Hopefully with this done your choke light goes off when you move the choke lever to the off position.

10) Choke should move freely without effort. If this is not the case, something is wrong, kinked, etc.

Edited by jonathanrussell