IGNORED

Getting the 73 Back on the Road

SteveJ

Today I pulled off the intake to address the exhaust leak.

I cut off the air injectors and proceeded to tap the fittings with an M7x1 tap. One bolt broke as I tightened it, but I think it's sealed. I'll find out with another smoke test in a little while.

20211003_165536.jpg

• Like 1

It passed the smoke test. Well, there was smoke coming out around the gasket because the exhaust manifold wasn't bolted down where it shares studs with the intake. Anyway, I buttoned it back up, and I'll be testing soon to see if I hear anything that I shouldn't with regards to an exhaust leak.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I finally had some energy and motivation today. That meant I could drop the old tank.

In case anybody needs a primer on dropping the tank, this may help.

I already had the trim panels removed and the gas tank drained.

Next is taking hoses off the expansion tank to give slack underneath. The only hoses that IMHO have to be removed is the large vent hose that goes through the floor on the right side near the tail panel to the tank and the hose from expansion tank to filler neck. Taking off the other hoses just ease access to the large vent hose. It's good to have some small picks to run along the inside of the hose where it is on the neck of the expansion tank to break loose the hose. I replaced all of the vent hoses only 24 years ago, so they are in fairly good shape.

GEDC1052.JPG

GEDC1053.JPG

Go ahead and remove the 3 screws on the filler neck.

GEDC1055.JPG

There is only one vent hose that is somewhat accessible before starting to drop the tank. It's on the left side of the tank. Even then, you'll need to loosen the nuts on the J-bolts some to get full access to it.

GEDC1056.JPG

Before you take off the J-bolts, on the passenger side, remove the leads to the fuel sender and the supply and return hoses.

GEDC1057.JPGGEDC1058.JPG

With the driver side vent hose removed, and the tank straps disconnected from the J-bolts, you should be able to access the small vent hose on top of the tank. It is a good idea to support the left side of the tank with a floor jack or jack stands to keep from stressing the hoses.

You'll also want to get the filler neck down to access the hose clamp holding the filler to the tank. That was a challenge for me this time. At first I tried to pry the lip in.

20211114_143138.jpg

That didn't work so great. 

20211114_144244.jpg

Then I got out the big honkin' pliers and squeezed the neck enough to get the lip through the top hole.

20211114_144433.jpg

At that point, I fed the large vent hose through the floor to give enough slack for the tank to come down more. I got the large vent hose off the tank. Then I used a small pry bar to push the filler neck hose off of the tank. The tank was on the ground.GEDC1064.JPG

I don't think it was as bad inside as the one @siteunseenhad with his display of chips that he likes to use, but I don't want to take any chances. 

GEDC1066.JPGGEDC1068.JPG

The old tank is in the shed for now. I'll probably try to clean it up. The new tank will go in the week of Thanksgiving since I'm taking off from work that week.

GEDC1054.JPG

GEDC1063.JPG

• Like 3