IGNORED

Steering Wheel Refreshing

Wally

I have 2 steering wheels. I would like to get at least one refreshed like new. I dont think i have the skills to do that and make it look 100%. Any suggestions on who could do this? LIke should i call local carpenters?

IMG_2420.jpgIMG_2419.jpg

Edited by Wally

The wheel rim is a type of resin that has wood fibers impregnated. A good way to clean it is a soapy solution in the kitchen sink and VERY GENTLY rub it down with a fine steel wool. You don't want to damage or remove the wood fibers. Strip the spokes and hub to bare metal and finish out as @Patcon mentioned.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

@Wally There is a guy on Facebook that offers this as a service. Its not cheap, but the photos look good. Links below. 

https://www.facebook.com/Datsun-240Z-Steering-Wheels-100916391333259/

@Patcon @Captain Obvious Are there any common challenges or problem spots to look out for when refinishing? And does this faux wood refinish like real wood? Looking for a used wheel to put on my 280z, but 100% of the wheels I see up for sale need some TLC.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 9:58 AM, Muzez said:

@Wally There is a guy on Facebook that offers this as a service. Its not cheap, but the photos look good. Links below. 

https://www.facebook.com/Datsun-240Z-Steering-Wheels-100916391333259/

@Patcon @Captain Obvious Are there any common challenges or problem spots to look out for when refinishing? And does this faux wood refinish like real wood? Looking for a used wheel to put on my 280z, but 100% of the wheels I see up for sale need some TLC.

i have message this person. no response as of yet. i will update with ETA's and price if he responds