IGNORED

BRE stamped N47

A friend and I have been inventorying the loose parts of his '77 280z prior to paint and reassembly.   He has an N42 engine he says is from an '80ZX. 

The head has the letters "BRE" stamped on the back of it. I have the original N47/N42 I pulled from my '80ZX years ago, and found no such markings.

Any idea what it means?

I see no obvious evidence of porting, and it was said to only be checked for straightness by a local machine shop(Don't know if its been shaved). The block does have Nissan flat top pistons. I don't know if it's been bored out at all, it's currently assembled.  He says it's a .480 lift cam.

BRE.jpg

Edited by Reptoid Overlords

9 hours ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

The block does have Nissan flat top pistons.

So it's a 280zx block with flat top pistons,  N42 (My 280zx has a N42/N42 block/head.)  I would like to know if there are orig. 280zx engineblocks with flat top pistons in it?  

Could be possible there are some on different markets... (Next winter i take my 280zx  engine apart for new seals and hoses, it does not leak but it's 42 yrs old.. then i know if the euro / dutch version has flattops.

Finally found the page I was looking for and I am WRONG. That '79 was a 2+2 with the F-54/ P-79. I don't know if that matters or if someone had swapped out the motor? Anyway here's the write up on all the different blocks and head combos. Great read but hard to find nowadays, they changed something and my old bookmarks do not work anymore.

https://datsunzgarage.us/engine/

L24 (1970 240Z)2.4 liter# E31 (flattop pistons)E31

L24 ('71-73 240Z)2.4 liter# P30 (flattop pistons)E88

L26 ('74 260Z)2.6 liter# P30 (flattop pistons)E88

L28 ('75-80 280Z/ZX)2.8 liter# N42 (dished pistons)N42, N47

L28 ('81-83 280ZX)2.8 liter# F54 (flattop/dished pistons, siamesed cylinders)P79, P90, P90a

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The thing glued on with the red goop looks like a heat indicator used for rebuilt parts, to show that they've been overheated.

BRE?  Maybe Brock had a head ready for a race car and somebody ended up with it.

https://bre2.net/the-racing/datsun/

image.png

I would doubt that BRE on that block would have anything to do with Brock Racing Enterprises. Pete disbanded BRE in 72 when he decided to get into hang gliding. The N42 block came out in the 280Z.

However, to cover my bases, I did send the picture to Randy Jaffe. Considering how much of a BRE fanatic he is, he may be able to shed some light onto that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

So it's a 280zx block with flat top pistons,  N42 (My 280zx has a N42/N42 block/head.)  I would like to know if there are orig. 280zx engineblocks with flat top pistons in it?  

It's a rebuilt head, probably on a rebuilt short block.  The N47 with flat tops would give a high CR.  I don't think Nissan did that for their factory engines.  Looks like somebody's home project.

BRE probably stands for Big Ron's Engineering and Speed Shop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Zed Head said:

The thing glued on with the red goop looks like a heat indicator used for rebuilt parts, to show that they've been overheated.

BRE?  Maybe Brock had a head ready for a race car and somebody ended up with it.

https://bre2.net/the-racing/datsun/

image.png

The little disc glued to the core plug on the head was placed there by Pioneer Engine Rebuilders. Like Zed says, it has a thermal indicator, to show if the head has, or has not, been subjected to overheating. 

It also gives a clue about the history of the head, and possibly the engine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1