IGNORED

undercarriage color

Wally

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2021 at 5:40 AM, dutchzcarguy said:

I don't think so if i may say.. the following statement seems more correct to me..

Have a look at this thread.  Both my 12/70 and 6/71 cars had this tough, black coating applied to the bare metal before the bodies were sprayed with color.

Additionally, if you look very close at the pic showing the transmission tunnel in that thread, you will see a reddish over spray that came through the shifter opening onto the black coating.  That overspray... is the first coat of primer that was applied at the factory.  You can see it here on the fender I stripped back to bare metal:

IMG_20181104_193121.jpg

Over this red "oxide" primer, which was sprayed over the entire top surface of the car, they sprayed a coat of grey primer before the paint:

IMG_20181111_145515.jpg

Note that this picture is of the front wheel well area where the cowl drain hose passes from the inside of the passenger compartment of the car to the outside - left hand side of the car.  We are looking at the place where the fender support panel bolts to the unibody.  To the left of where the support was bolted, you can see a "black" coating in the picture.  To the right of where the support was bolted, you see no black coating.  The support panel also had the black coating on it.  

IMG_20181111_145433.jpg

The same is true for the front fender.  The black coating is only on the inside of the fender, in front of where the support panel contacts the back of the fender.    

Those last facts are a bit off point, but circling back the thread for which I provided a link, you can clearly see the silver is on top of the black, and the black is on top of bare metal.   All of this is what I provide as facts that the black coating was applied at the Nissan factory.  I also have chips of the black coating which flaked off in some places.  And I have sanded it in various places.  So, I know it is the same stuff all over the car.  No other black substance was sprayed on this car (6/71) after the original silver paint. 

Edited by inline6
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, inline6 said:

Have a look at this thread.

Sorry but i'm not gonna read it all.. is your car a first owner car.. are you the first owner? if not you can't know where the car has been and there are always exceptions.. (Like the cars with total different serialnumbers but same month and year dates.. the factory sometimes did put cars aside and later on after "repair" they came back in the proces line..)

It's possible that your cars had some extra black stuff but this does not mean they all got it.. 

I am the first owner of a 280Z.  Mine has black coating (looks like truck bed liner).  In some places it is still firmly attached; in others it could be peeled off.  Underneath it was not exactly body color, but more like a primer.  I had assumed that it was factory applied.  I would not have thought that a dealer in Houston had applied it, or they would have padded the sticker price.  There is no paint on top of the black coating.

7 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

It's possible that your cars had some extra black stuff but this does not mean they all got it.. 

Agree totally. 

With regard to my car (two cars actually), I think my investigation and my conclusions about the origin of the black coating being at the Nissan factory are accurate.  Evidence is there if you take the time to look. 

2 hours ago, Roberts280Z said:

I am the first owner of a 280Z.  Mine has black coating (looks like truck bed liner).  In some places it is still firmly attached; in others it could be peeled off.  Underneath it was not exactly body color, but more like a primer.  I had assumed that it was factory applied.  I would not have thought that a dealer in Houston had applied it, or they would have padded the sticker price.  There is no paint on top of the black coating.

I am not familiar with the 280z undercoat.  I have seen some evidence that the factory coating changed near 72-73 to a much rougher texture.  If you look through some of the cars on Bring a trailer, you can get an idea of what is original and what is not.