IGNORED

4-speed: No 1st 2nd gears

Hi Jeff, I wrote that late before going to bed. I'm away from home at the moment and only have my work laptop and tablet with me, so doing this from memory. I also borrowed a screenshot from ZedHeads post.

Btw, I meant 3rd/4th and 1st/2nd forks could be reversed, but I typed reverse and 1st/2nd. Tired😴

Why I asked about the striking rod not engaging? If one of the forks (pos#5) is reversed, then the striker slots won't line up for the striking rod. That is clear in the photo. The selector rod is then twisted (turned) in the adapter plate where the interlock balls are located and that is locking the selectors. Your reverse is also binding in the 3rd/4th striker slot

It looks like you have one of the selector forks mounted on the selector rod backwards. The forks for 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th are the same (Pos#5) . The only difference is how you fit them. 3rd/4th the long tab should be down and 1st/2nd it should go over the top of the gear.

Because the 3rd/4th striker slot is interferring with reverse, it looks like your 3rd/4th fork is mounted backwards (180 degrees). It's easy to do and will cause all your problems.

The good news is it is an easy fix. Swap it around and do the check with a rod to see if the interlocks move correctly. You shouldn't need to hone it and if you do, don't remove too much. The hole diameter effects distance, too large a diameter and you could eliminate the interlock function.

I added two of your photos with the area highlighted. You can see the forks are in the same direction and 3rd4th it binding with reverse.

Screenshot_20210608-075608.jpg

Screenshot_20210608-082713.jpg

Screenshot_20210608-082753.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
Added photos
  • Like 2

Thanks EuroDat. I'm going to correct that. I'm going to hone the hole lightly because it shouldn't take a hammer blow to force the detent through the hole. I'm assuming there is some corrosion in the bore from year of sitting around.

3 hours ago, Jeff Berk said:

I'm going to hone the hole lightly because it shouldn't take a hammer blow to force the detent through the hole. I'm assuming there is some corrosion in the bore from year of sitting around.

True, they should fall through without too much help. Certainly not a hammer to help it.

10 hours ago, EuroDat said:

It looks like you have one of the selector forks mounted on the selector rod backwards. The forks for 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th are the same (Pos#5) . The only difference is how you fit them. 3rd/4th the long tab should be down and 1st/2nd it should go over the top of the gear.

Screenshot_20210608-082753.jpg

That is some nice detective work.

• Like 2