IGNORED

Another Suspension Rebuild

So do you still have stock springs on the back? If so are you sure someone didn’t cut them already? Seems to be way lower than normal back there. The Eibachs you put on the front helped, looks like it dropped maybe more than an inch. I just bought Eibachs all around and Koni springs too. They haven’t arrived yet but hope it works out.

This is mine now with 100% stock suspension. It’s sitting pretty high.

fd1b08044426266c972fedab0de78f44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I have 1 round cut out of my fronts with stock struts. The previous owner did it but I like it and the stance is nice. Handles good. Not too rough through the steering or the seat. Cheap way to lower one I've always heard.

Yeah, that's what I'm after.  👍  Not sure about cutting those Eibach springs though.  I've done Mustang springs before, but I've never had progressives.  I assume the top of the spring is the soft side, where the windings are about 1/2" apart.  Could try cutting 1 coil and see where it ends up at.  Geometry-wise, I wonder what a 1/2" shorter spring translates to change in wheel height.  I might be a the guinea pig on this.  Picture of spring loaded:

IMG_6922.JPG

Or, Z Car Depot has this .7" spacers to raise the rear:

https://zcardepot.com/products/upper-strut-mount-spacer-240z-260z-280z?variant=19280977494129

2 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

So do you still have stock springs on the back? If so are you sure someone didn’t cut them already? Seems to be way lower than normal back there. The Eibachs you put on the front helped, looks like it dropped maybe more than an inch. I just bought Eibachs all around and Koni springs too. They haven’t arrived yet but hope it works out.

This is mine now with 100% stock suspension. It’s sitting pretty high.

Yeah, not sure if I had the stock springs to begin with, I'll have to do some homework there.

That does sit pretty high, hope the new stuff works too.

Got the new wheels and tires mounted today.  😊  Yeah, went with 15 x 7's, 0 offset.  I just like the old school look, old like me.  Sure, tire selection sucks, but I drive my cars less aggressive nowadays.  Ended up with Yokahama Avid Accend GT's, 205/60-15, 24.7" diameter.  Here's a pic with 180 lbs on the drivers seat:

IMG_6932.JPG

Here's a pic with the differential jacked up about 3/4".  Doesn't look too bad.  I think I'll get spacers for the rear.  

Well, maybe... I'd sure like to see what it would look like with 1 coil cut from the front springs. 🤔.  Opinions welcome!  

IMG_6931.JPG

I like your wheel/tire choice and I like the stance as is (picture 2). Also the amount of wheel/tire 'fill' within the fender openings. The problem, however, is that your tire to top-of-wheel arch gap appears bigger the front than at the rear.  I think it's a bit too big at the front and a bit too small at the rear.  But maybe the shadows make it difficult to tell.  If I'm right, though, perhaps the best starting strategy would be a half coil off the front and a bit more spacer at the rear.

The visual part is subjective.  Messing around with the suspension too much can have undesired consequences.  

I may have missed this but have you tried adding rear strut spacer?

Also, maybe experiment with cutting your old springs and see what you can do there. You might be happy before cutting your new Eibachs. Just an idea.

Lastly what if you put the old stock non lowered springs back on there rear?

Maybe I missed some things you’ve already tried, sorry if I’m repeating ideas given.

https://zcardepot.com/products/upper-strut-mount-spacer-240z-260z-280z?variant=19280977494129&currency=USD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-batuuDE8gIVCWyGCh1jfg3dEAQYASABEgJ2__D_BwE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I may have missed this but have you tried adding rear strut spacer?

Not yet, I might later.

So, decided to cut the front coils today, 1/2 coil at a time.  Did the right side first until I kinda got it where I wanted it, then the left.  Cutting 1/2 coil off the top (soft end) dropped it 1/16", a full coil 3/16", 1 1/2 coils for 1/4" drop.  Not much impact for amount of material removed.  So then I figured I cut on the bottom firm end, and took 3/8 coil off there, which resulted in a total 7/16" drop.  Decided to leave it there and not get crazy, and repeated for the left side.  Here's what was removed (your results may vary🙂):

IMG_6945.JPG

After a quick spin took this pic:

IMG_6943.JPG

I think I'll leave it as is for awhile, maybe more settling will happen.  Ride smoothness doesn't seem to have changed, and no camber change.  Final measurements from ground to outside top wheel well:  

RF:  25 5/8"

RR:  24 7/8"

LF:  25 9/16"

LR:  25 3/16"

I guess when MSA says these Eibachs "Will lower most Z's approximately 1 - 11/2" from stock ride height, depending on other factors, such as choice of struts & shocks," I guess my Z isn't in the "most" category.  I should probably figure out what springs it had before, maybe they were non OEM.  Oh well, good enough for now, until I get the itch to cut more....

• Like 4