IGNORED

Inspection on a 240Z in NW Pennsylvania?

GoldAir

Hi all,

First post! Hope everyone is safe and healthy at the moment. I'm looking to purchase my first 240Z (a '71), but I'm on the other side of the country and would love to have an inspection done on the car before purchase. Can anyone recommend a shop or early 240Z expert that could look the car over for me? I'm of course happy to pay for time and expertise.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum— I wasn't sure where to place it.

Many thanks.

NW Pennsyltucky is more like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Erie or Buffalo. That would be quite a trek for the Captain.

@GoldAirWith living in the land that rust forgot (for the most part), why are you considering a Z from the land where rust never sleeps?

• Like 1

I thought of CO too but I used to live by Philly and Pittsburgh is quite a drive.

Just post up the ad.  Odds are that anybody here already owns one and is not going to scoop you.  We can do pretty good forensics from the pictures.

53 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

NW Pennsyltucky is more like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Erie or Buffalo. That would be quite a trek for the Captain.

@GoldAirWith living in the land that rust forgot (for the most part), why are you considering a Z from the land where rust never sleeps?

So it's the ad below— Hawai'i to the mainland and it looks like it's in pretty good condition. Surface rust seems to be the worst of it as far as I can tell from the photos, but was hoping a lookaround from someone before trying to buy sight unseen!

8 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I thought of CO too but I used to live by Philly and Pittsburgh is quite a drive.

Just post up the ad.  Odds are that anybody here already owns one and is not going to scoop you.  We can do pretty good forensics from the pictures.

It's actually the ad you posted... I've had my eyes on it since it was listed with an alert. I reached out to a friend with a shop in the Baltimore area for his opinion, but then figured I should come to the Z enthusiasts directly!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-128-2/

I'm no expert but the pictures look good.  The seller should really have a driving/running video.  Odd that there's no reserve now but there was before.

These plastic things drilled or stuck on to the body are odd.  Not sure what's going on there.

image.png

image.png

AFAIK (from reading all comments), those plugs are to stop moisture. Perhaps there was some anti-rust measure sprayed inside the cavity and then it was plugged with those?

There was an auction last year with a reserve that wasn't met, and since then it looks he now wants it gone (hence no reserve on this re-list). I'm a little perplexed by the lack of running video— he says he submitted it to BAT on the last auction but it wasn't tied to the auction— and then he says one is being prepared for this listing as of a day or two ago.

Just now, GoldAir said:

AFAIK (from reading all comments), those plugs are to stop moisture. Perhaps there was some anti-rust measure sprayed inside the cavity and then it was plugged with those?

There was an auction last year with a reserve that wasn't met, and since then it looks he now wants it gone (hence no reserve on this re-list). I'm a little perplexed by the lack of running video— he says he submitted it to BAT on the last auction but it wasn't tied to the auction— and then he says one is being prepared for this listing as of a day or two ago.

- Commenter: "Just curious what and why is there a white/clear cap over the manufacturing date on the door pillar?"
- Seller: "White cap is a rustproofing plug."

5 hours ago, GoldAir said:

AFAIK (from reading all comments), those plugs are to stop moisture. Perhaps there was some anti-rust measure sprayed inside the cavity and then it was plugged with those.

The plastic plugs are to fill the holes drilled for spraying rust preventative compound. Odd that the person applying the stuff thought it was OK to drill through the ID plate, and the date.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd be happy to help if it weren't at the opposite corner of the state. Upper left corner is about seven or eight hours away from the lower right.  LOL

I agree on the purpose of those plastic plugs... Back in the old days, they would drill holes, stick a wand in to spray rust preventative goop inside and then plug the holes with caps like that. The most well known company was "Ziebart". I can't believe they went right through the VIN tag though.

"My boss says I need to put the holes one foot apart. So I put the holes one foot apart. That's my job."

• Like 2