IGNORED

1978 stock alternator wiring

neutrino

• 2 weeks later...

I know I’m kind of bumping a dead thread here but I finally got around to trying with starting fluid. When the fluid is used, the car does turn over, but immediately sputters and returns to just cranking. The fuel pressure gauge is showing fuel in the line and I know the car is getting spark because it is able to turn over for a split second. I’m kind of stumped here.

Turn over and crank mean the same thing.  You probably mean "fire" or start, not turn over.  Crank/turn over > fire/start > run.

How long does it sputter?  A split second?  What happens if you squirt a bunch of fluid in?

What is the actual fuel pressure number?

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Turn over and crank mean the same thing.  You probably mean "fire" or start, not turn over.  Crank/turn over > fire/start > run.

How long does it sputter?  A split second?  What happens if you squirt a bunch of fluid in?

What is the actual fuel pressure number?

The pressure gauge reads about 35 psi whether the car is on or off, and with fluid the car fires for a moment and then sputters for about the same time before returning to just cranking. Spraying more fluid makes it fire longer. If there’s anyone in the Boulder area who can figure it out that would be great.

There's a few details missing.  If you KNOW you have fuel and spark, then the most likely problem area would be whether they are occurring at the correct time - timing.  Also, the fuel rail may show pressure, but that doesn't mean the injectors are supplying the cylinders with it.  You need to confirm these things.

• Like 1

You have confirmed spark and ignition timing with the starting fluid.  Now you need to find out why the injectors aren't opening.  Could be the power supply, could be the signal from the coil negative terminal, could be the ECU.  Get a meter and start probing.

• Like 1